Saturday, May 16, 2015

Dblog week day 6 - linkity links

Today's prompt is:
If you have been blogging for a while, what is your favorite sentence or blogpost that you have ever written?  Is it diabetes related or just life related?  If you are a new blogger and don't have a favorite yet, tell us what motivated you to start sharing your story by writing a blog?
Dear Laddie get's the credit for this one.

I'll be honest, I'm not overly psyched about this topic mostly because it requires too much thinking. What motivated me to start a blog, hmmm, probably just the desire to connect. I could see so many others sharing and connecting and I wanted that too. I was going through a rather messy separation/divorce and was an emotional fucking ticking time bomb. I needed something to put my thoughts into and had been lurking the diabetes blogosphere for quite awhile at that point.

My favourite blog post by someone else is hands down THIS one by Jacquie. It's from many years ago and I still think about it.
I also adore THIS one about the crazy rabbit from Celine. These posts are pure genius.

As for me myself and my bloggy blog, I've been writing this thing on and off now for 5 years! holy shit... To top it all off this is my 500th published post, that's a bit coincidentally timed. I have to state "published" because I currently have 35 unpublished posts.

To get a "best" idea of popular posts I'll have to go into my stats.
If you ask the stats, my most popular post and not just by a landslide but by a fucking insane amount of page views is my "Rockets vs. Smarties" post. I wouldn't even recommend clicking the link. It's so lame the pictures are even broken. I wrote this in August of 2010 and it is still the post that gets the most page views. 20,780 to be exact. The next post down only has 1923. So, that tells me that people are VERY curious about Rockets and Smarties. Also, I think it just comes up at the top of the google search when you type that in. But seriously.. over 20,000 page views? bananas.  Now that I've got the words "rockets vs. smarties" and another picture I bet this is going to get a bazillion page views now too. 

The next two posts down that got the most hits are:
My hatred rant about the VerioIQ blood glucose meter.
Another device rant about Medtronic insulin pumps.

After reading those two posts.. it's no wonder I'm so anti-device, anti-diabetes technology and anti-flashy shit. I've had nothing but bad luck with it all.

My favourite posts are my old 12 of 12 posts. I really loved the 12th of each month when I would take 12 pictured during the day and post them. I stopped doing it a long time ago and sort of feel like starting it up again. Alas, most of the older pictures are gone (basically anything before December of 2012) because I'm a fucking idiot stick and accidentally - okay not accidentally. I deleted my google cache without knowing all the pictures were linked to my blog. I'm an idiot.

So that's what I've got. I can't think of my favourite post because I don't really keep track of anything. All I've got to go on is stats and I guess they speak for the blog. Those stats say that people are really fucking interested in Canadian vs. American Smarties... Y'all are a bunch of candy freaks out there!

For more posts on today's topic, go HERE.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I clicked through some of those links and had totally forgotten about Jacquie's brilliant tome!

    It was interesting to see one of your comments on the Medtronic post in which you yourself said "I wouldn't dream of going back to MDI's. My life was miserable." And here we are, and you're much happier with the minimalist/MDI routine. How opinions and preferences change. Never say "never".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I would go back. I thought for sure pumping was the right thing for me and I was determined to make it work. Even so, when I stopped using the pump, initially it was going to be a couple weeks break.
      You're right, never say never! Sometimes I catch myself saying I'll never go back to the pump but in the deepest section of my brain there will always be an openess to whatever treatment works best at the time so I never know.

      Delete
  2. Haha that's funny about the Smarties post. I didn't even know Canadians had different Smarties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love search engines hey! I love that 12 for 12 idea, you should definitely start doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the 12 of 12! I vote for starting it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My very confused two year old calls m&ms smarties. And for the record: Canadian Smarties > m&ms

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have two pkgs of Smarties from Ireland - in the freezer.
    And 12 for 12. I could do that... Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote yes to a reboot of 12 of 12!

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)