Friday, November 15, 2013

A day in the life, hour to hour, BG to BG.

I did this a little while ago, record my hour to hour diabetes management. Since yesterday was World Diabetes Day and I really didn't do anything but complain about how nobody outside of the DOC knows what Nov.14th is, I thought this would be cool.

Welcome to my diabetic day which neither starts nor ends at a specific time. It's all day, all night, non-stop.

2:30am - BG 5.3mmol/l (95mg/dl)
We've stopped setting nightly alarms because my BG was proving to be steady overnight for awhile. I still wake up randomly though so I usually test. I knew I should have boosted this 5.3 but instead I fell back asleep.

5:00am - BG 2.6mmol/l (47mg/dl)
Yeah, should have sucked back a couple Dex's at least. When I am low in the morning it takes awhile for me to actually feel it. I got up, got Farrah out of her cage and started the coffee before the world began to shift. I hovered back 4 Dex's and laid in bed. I tried to get up to start my morning but my stomach was feeling sick.

5:30am - BG 3.9mmol/l (70mg/dl)
Still laying in bed and now it's getting late. I  need to be out of the house and on the road by 6am to get to work. Sometimes I am forced to stay horizontal until my body feels better even if it makes me late for work. I have no choice.

6:30am - 16u of lantus and bolus 3 units for breakfast and eat while driving to work. (STFU)

8:30am - BG 4.4mmol/l (80mg/dl)
My post breakfast BG's have been low for weeks since I had to cut out the PB and chocolate chips I usually have in my oatmeal. I was getting horrendous and immediate gastrointestinal explosions. However this meant a bolus reduction. I used to take 6 units, now I take 3 and perhaps I need to lower it even more. I ate a banana even though I wasn't hungry.

10:00am - BG 9.1mmol/l (164mg/dl)
I knew the banana was a bit too much. Bolus 2 units and eat a granola bar and half an apple. The apple was gross.

12:30pm - BG 6.1mmol/l (110mg/dl)
Proof that the snacky bolus gone good. Eat a bag of grape tomatoes.

1:30pm - BG 5.3mmol/l (95mg/dl)
I had snacked on a bunch of nuts with some raisins in it and was about to eat my salad. Sometimes you get a number you don't expect. I was CERTAIN my BG would be up in the 12's so I was pleasantly surprised to see a 5.3! Eat salad, no bolus.

4:00pm - BG 7.6mmol/l (137mg/dl)
On my way home from work. Going home to do a threshold test on the trainer. There was this big peanut butter cup in my car and it fell into my mouth!! I boloused 3u for it. (It really was big and I felt horrible guilt for eating it).

5:30pm - BG 12.1mmol/l (218mg/dl)
Pre ride BG. Okay maybe I under bolused but I want my BG a touch higher before the ride. Perhaps not THIS much higher... but the PB choco was SO FUCKING DELICIOUS and I so rarely indulge these days.

6:30pm - BG 12.6mmol/l (227mg/dl)
I got stopped mid-ride because Farrah the ferret somehow got up on the kitchen counter! I leaped over the freezer that was blocking the doorway and she launched herself off the counter onto the floor and knocked the shit out of herself. I was so worried she was hurt and sat with her in my lap (while I dripped sweat) until she came around. She knocked a plant onto the floor and the kitchen was a disaster. I didn't get back on the bike because I had too much to take care of so I only got 22mins in.
Lesson learned. No more free-run weasel.

SOOO.... this 12.6 was not a surprise. It would have come down if I got the hour of spinning in. Unfortunately life is not always smooth sailing. I rage bolused that fucker with 4u (yeah I'm a chronic over-doser) I ate some celery and hummus while waiting for Ryan to get home.

8:30pm - BG 3.8mmol/l (69mg/dl)
Well there it is. Chug a juice box while cooking dinner. Stir fry veggies with some rice noodles. No bolus.

10:00pm - BG 8.1mmol/l (146mg/dl)
Bedtime BG, nothing done. 8u of Lantus injected. Attempt sleep. aka:toss and turn all night.

4:30am - BG 6.2mmol/l (112mg/dl)
Here we go again.... another day...

in summary:
12 BG tests (not incl. the last one)
avg: 6.7mmol/l (121mg/dl)
24u of Lantus
12u of Rapid
1 juice box, 4 dex tabs, 1 banana (low treatments)
Eaten: Oatmeal, granola bar, half an apple, grape tomatoes, salad, pb choco cup, celery, stir fry.

5 comments:

  1. Scully, this is awesome. A 6.7 average looks great to me. I love reading how people go through their diabetes days. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! sometimes stuff just falls into my mouth too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! You have the same problem as I do!! It's amazing how peanut butter cups just fall into people's mouths. We should warn other people. Watch out! Peanut butter cups may fall in! Haha.

    I would have taken a bolus for the salad before testing and would have been effed. I've done that pretty frequently since I usually bring salad for lunch. I need to learn to test more or at least, before bolusing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I discovered that one of my coworkers has bowl of peanut butter cups on her desk to entice people to visit her more. It might be working.

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)