Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Switching gears in the blog world for a HAPPIER life

I'm going to add in a different aspect to my blog and I'm not sure how it's going to work out yet.

Ryan and I are working on our life together. We've been constantly crossing paths with the idea of minimalism for quite some time now. It keeps sneaking it's way into our lives on a constant basis. It's like all trails lead here. Today is his birthday and he wanted to introduce this as his birthday gift. See below the word vomit for our first video.

We came across this way of living when we met. We instantly knew that we wanted to spend more time together. Work days were long and sometimes we had to spend a day apart and that made us miserable. Our lives were now one and all we wanted was the company of each other. How can we be together more? That was always the question. We worked out together and we spent the night at each other's places as often as we could without annoying our room mates. The days of work were long apart, too long even. He was working as a finish carpenter and was gone for up to 12 hours a day with all the commuting and such. I'm still gone almost as much because I commute far to work.

Ryan is the love of my life. I love him more and more each day. We make each other happy and that's what we want more than anything else. To be together and be happy.

We got our little cabin in the city. A 1-bed apt that is cheap yet not exactly spacious. We scaled back on our belongings. We really began evaluating our lives and what we want out of them. How can we have more time to do the things we love? Finding a cheaper way to exist for one. How can we live on less? That was the question that spawned it all. The less we need, the less we need to make and the more time we have for US.

Ryan has been able to achieve that dream quicker than I. Unfortunately, I'm in a difficult situation in my life right now. I have medical benefits through my job and without those benefits diabetes costs me far too much to pay out of pocket. I know I can look into the Ontario Trillium Program but for now I'm stocking up on all the stuff I need. I also have hellishly high insurance rates for when I crashed my car and was at fault for it. My insurance is the reason I initially had to sell my house.

I'm in a bit of a rough spot right now. I can't afford to downsize. I'm also in a bit of a fucked up place mentally because of what I did to get to where I am. I went to school and got a diploma in order to get a good paying job with a great company. I've worked many years in this industry and have no desires to climb the corporate ladder. Now that I have that good 40h/week job with benefits, I'm not sure it's what I want. I don't take my job very seriously. It's hard when I truly don't feel like I'm doing anything good for any body drawing up big fuck off houses that people don't need. It morally confuses me and I can honestly say I don't agree with it.

I'm ranting, I know.

Ultimately what we want is to work less and be with each other more. Fuck retirement when we're too old to enjoy it. You may be thinking, "yeah but isn't that what we ALL want?" Well duh, world, of course that's what we all want. This is different though. What we are trying to do is not have that need for the "stuff" in the first place. By living with less, we need less.

There will be much more to come in due time on this topic. Ryan and I are really passionate about starting a minimalist movement. We're calling it "The Less is More Project" and we invite you to follow our journey. Through our respective blogs (Ryan's blog), YouTube page and our spanking new "Less is More Project" Facebook page.

And by all means, let us know what you think! We have a shit ton of cool ideas to blog and video about as well as some rather.... interesting challenges we're giving ourselves. Including a tour of our cabin in the city eventually. We're open to tips and tricks and hack ideas to live a life of less. We will have tons to share over the coming months and are really hoping to build a community.

As promised, here is our first video. I think it's kind of retarded - actually I just think I'm a total fucktard in it but whatevs. I wasn't feeling well. We did it rather unrehearsed and with no real script so bear with us while we figure out how to make ourselves look sexier in video. Perhaps staring into the sun wasn't a wonderful idea.



I hope you will enjoy following us on this journey to less.

Also, because I mentioned it in the video here is the George Carlin bit about "stuff".

6 comments:

  1. I worked the same as Ryan and decided to go out on my own, sort of forced minimalism. You only work 30 hours you only bill 30 hours. Still able to maintain insurance for the old T1D, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing.. Looking foward to hearing about your journey. Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to hearing and learning about your new journey! wishing you both the best with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always inspire me! Love what you guys are doing. Couldn't agree with you guys more about "stuff" and how it kinda just takes over your life. It really becomes apparent when you move- you see just how much "stuff" you have. I have gotten rid of probably 50% or more of my stuff in the last year, and still have an entire room of stuff I'm trying to sell on Craig's List and eBay. Too much stuff sucks up all the energy in your living space! Although it's hard to be completely stuff-free with the 'betes. Those kinds of stock piles come in handy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)