Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Fix me

Doctor's appointments seem to come in droves. I think I've had 6 in the past couple weeks alone. It's good to get it all out of the way for awhile. This body of mine is high maintenance y'all. Half my face is numb tonight from the dentist but my teeth are fixed. I am booked to have laser eye surgery in a couple months and then my eyes will be fixed. Lastly, endo stress is over with for a couple months. If only they could fix my useless pancreas.
It bums me out that a 6.4% A1C is still bold and indicating an abnormally high result. Never-the-less it's a lovely sight for my sore eyes at least. I giggled a bit when he pointed out with concern my fasting BG of 9.1mmol/l (164mg/dl). I didn't say it but I was thinking, dude I test my fasting BG every single fucking morning of my life. I happened to have a low earlier that morning is what I really said.

I'm about to admit something that makes me a mis-behaved diabetic. I don't give a flying shit about fasting for my quarterly blood work. *GASP*. If I have a low at any point in the evening or during the night I still go in the morning. I put back a big fat coffee too. With cream. I save my breakfast till after, that's about all. Call it rebellious, I really don't care. It's enough of a thorn in my side (a needle in my vein?) to even get fasting blood work without it totally screwing up my work schedule. So fuck it.

The rest of the appointment was totally uneventful which was nice. All the rest of my lab results came back great. My cholesterol, for the first time since being diagnosed, was in the normal range. Thank you diabetes for the high cholesterol requiring the use of more life-long statins.

For those on ADP (Assisted Devices Program) I did find a bit more out. See, I receive a cheque from the government every 3 months for pump supplies. I didn't know how long I would be bumping around with MDI so I took my recent cheque and bought more pump supplies. I've got a really big pile of supplies now. I'm thinking I should sell them on the black market. Vials of insulin? Surely those could go for a few bucks. Any way... he told me to keep doing what I'm doing and buying pump supplies with them. When I decide that MDI is semi-permanent or permanent for me I simply notify the government to put a hold on my cheques. He said if I choose to go back on the pump he will fill out an application but I don't have to go through the whole rigmarole process like in the beginning.

Hey, pssst... get your pump supplies here! ahem, just kidding. Maybe. No really, uhm.

SO... that sexy new A1C may not be entirely accurate. I was 6.5% 3 months ago but switched to MDI 2 months ago. With all the adjusting I've had quite the many lows. I'm kind of aggressive with my insulin. Just the other night I had 3 lows in one evening followed by waking up every other hour low all night long. I digress, that doesn't happen all the time. It's a work in progress but yes, 6.4% reflects a lot of lows I'm sure. I could get really used to that number though.

The only thing bothering me is my weight. I don't feel fat. I don't think I look fat either but the scale screams something different. I'm hiding some seriously heavy stuff but I don't know where it is! I don't know how it's possible but I can't ignore that number, can I? My body has changed a lot in the past few months. The lack of stress from no longer being on Team Novo Nazi has bode me well. I lost stress weight or re-distributed it or something. I'm confused. Have I got iron bones or something? I'm well aware that having a lower A1C for about 6 months means weight gain is imminent. Plus the lows. I just don't know where I'm hiding it because I don't SEE it.

8 comments:

  1. Scully, you're pretty much 99% muscle. That shit is heavy, don't fret.

    Also congrats on the A1C that's a solid number. Also, also my doctor furrowed his brow at my 8.1 fasting sugar. I didn't tell him that I slammed a juice box right before going in because I felt low but didn't have my test supplies with me. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great visit! You made me laugh with your rebellious fasting glucose comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly why labs (in the US, anyway) won't release results directly to patients - only to doctors. They may know how to measure the shit, but they have no idea how to interpret it. I trust your doctor does. And personally, I'd be proud to have those numbers.

    I was going to say something else, but Alanna beat me to it. That weight? It's all muscle. And heart. Heart and muscle, yeah, that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also don't give a crap about fasting for blood work. My doctor said it really doesn't matter that much (because they know I'm not eating a pound of bacon and a stick of butter right before I walk in).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my endo but it seriously bugs me that she only looks at the last week of BGs. I guess that's the best way to do it but I'd much rather look at averages to get a better sense of the general scheme of things. One day or even a week isn't going to necessarily represent how all of them are... My A1C also dropped (by 1.1%!) but a lot of that is lows from eating Paleo and exercising a ton more. And losing weight. So my endo already prepped me by saying it could go up again by my next appointment, but I'm hoping it doesn't!

    Also: my endo said that blood work is best done fasting, but it's OK if it isn't. So I think you're OK. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got an amazing body. Curvy, muscles and beautifully feminine! You're one of the healthiest people I know diabetic or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How the hell do I follow that up? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What Ryan said! You are one fit lady and look extremely healthy and strong. Some curves are a bonus as well :) Congrats on the A1C!

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)