Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Until There is a Cure, The Book

You may have noticed this book being reviewed across the diabetes interwebs recently. I was sent a copy from Spry Publishing. Obviously, reviewing it on my blog was not written out but kind of assumed. I shall do just that because I like free stuff and I hope to get more free stuff in the future.


So, the book.
It's titled "Until There is a Cure: The Latest and Greatest in Diabetes Self-Care" by Gary Sheiner.

Most of us in the diabetes world are somewhat familiar with Gary. He has a Master of Science in Physiology and is a Certified Diabetes Educator who has also lived with Type 1 Diabetes for over 25 years. You could say this man has experience and knowledge. Most of us know him from his super popular book called "Think Like a Pancreas". To be honest, I've always wanted to read this book because I've heard so many amazing things about it. I've never read it because I'm an idiot. So I bought it. I don't want to get into all these details about the author but he knows his shit. Mm'kay?

My initial thoughts on this book were that I wasn't entirely sure the point of it or who in particular the audience is. I don't think it's me, someone who's been living with T1D for over 10 years and is well versed in social media and diabetes management tools.

Don't get me wrong, there was some neat stuff that I didn't know. I learned a little bit about how strength training affects our insulin sensitivity almost as much as cardio. I learned that elevated glucose in the body's fluids and tissues presents a challenge to maintaining proper chemical balance among neurotransmitters in the brain. Thus a factor as to why people with diabetes are 3 times more likely to suffer with depression and it's not just because diabetes is an awful disease to live with. I also learned a bit about how our bodies insulin basal needs change as we age. Like someone over 60 actually require less basal insulin than a toddler which just surprises me.



Overall, I'd say this book is aimed at the newly diagnosed. He stands true to the books title, "The Latest and Greatest in Diabetes Self Care". There is some great information on medications as well as devices such as meters, insulin pens and insulin pumps. There's a lot of info on internet resources as well as software (I didn't really care to read those sections). There's a whole chunk of a chapter dedicated to continuous glucose monitoring as well as diet and exercise. There's a really great overview on calories, carb counting and nutrition that even the seasoned carb-counter could learn something. He does a great job at explaining the different factors that affect BG that are sometimes overlooked like emotional considerations. There's a concise bullet list about stress that I really enjoyed.

I actually kind of enjoyed this book for a couple of reasons. Most of what he wrote about I already knew which is always reassuring. There were a few new things I learned that helped to reinforce how I live with diabetes. I will admit though, I skipped through a bunch of sections like the one about choosing a glucose meter or insulin pump because I didn't think there was anything I wouldn't already know.

I can't say I'd recommend this book for anybody who is already on top of their diabetes self care but for sure I'd recommend it for someone who is newly diagnosed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)