Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A year of insulin and strips

I must have collected this stuff over a year and a half ago. I moved it from my house to the room I rented and almost moved it into the apartment. I was delaying throwing it out because I so badly wanted to blog about it.  I mean shit, I wasn't collecting bio hazardous waste for nothing. I was collecting it for the ONLY purpose of writing a blog post about it.

Now I can!

My collection of vials, strips and I had a photo shoot before I finished packing up and moving out.

1 year of strips and vials.

75 bottles of test strips at 50 strips a bottle. 3,750 strips. Which works out to approximately 10.27 strips a day on average. It also works out to about $3,375 since I pay $89.99 for a box of 100 strips. Yes I have insurance coverage (it covers 80%). Which then leads me to an out of pocket expense of $675/year.

There are 16 vials of insulin and 15 pen fills. The pen fills are because the pharmacist screwed up once and gave me the wrong stuff. Rather than going back and complaining I just used 'em. A vial of insulin is $35 (over-the-counter). If I buy it through my insurance it's more like $60. I still have to pay 20% so I opt to buy out of pocket and then submit for reimbursement. 16 vials @ $35/ea is $560. 15 pen fills are $207. So I'm paying only $153 a year for insulin.

Add 'em up and that's $828.40/year that comes out of my pocket for test strips and insulin only. This is interesting!

Well onto the bio hazardous medical waste glamour shots...

 







10 comments:

  1. Whoa! That's a hell of a lot of test strips.

    I use at least ten a day too. We should save them up for a few years and then we can take pictures of us drowning in them.

    Or we can pile them up next to rolls and rolls of loonies to show how much they cost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy! I knew diabetes generated a lot of waste but to see it built up like that...holy crap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shots of all those test strips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the shots. I wish I had the space to save mine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! I love the one of the test strips as well, often what the bottom of my bag looks like, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holey Moley! That's a lot of stuff. Bet you'll be glad to get rid of it now. Thanks for saving it all this time and sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It makes me feel bad about my carbon footprint. But, you know, I'd rather feel guilty than die!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was saving my test strips for a year too. They absolutely filled a shoebox! That's a lot of tests. It's great to know I'm not the only one out there who like collecting them :) I made a short time lapse video of them pouring out of the shoebox, but its not online yet. Looks a bit like a blue waterfall, all those optium xceed strips!

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)