Tuesday, November 27, 2012

WDD Photo Scavenger Hunt

Before I get into this post I have to admit to something absolutely stupid that I did. Last night while I was uploading photos I kept getting an error message saying my Picasa web album was full. I'm all like, "WTF?, where did these some THOUSAND pictures come from and why are they saved here?" No worries, I'll just go ahead and DELETE them all.

Imagine how crushed I am right now realizing that by deleting them they were being removed from my blog. EVERY SINGLE POST since I started blogging 2.5 years ago.

I'm so overwhelmed right now I don't know what I'm going to do :(


One time back in 2005 I was hosting a group of my Taiwanese students in Toronto for a month. On one of the last days we arranged a scavenger hunt for them. We selected random things for them to take pictures of and collect. Including things they had to go garbage picking for. My co-captain and I sat inside a coffee shop laughing to ourselves at the crazy things we were making these culture-shocked, island-locked Taiwanese kids do. It was glorious.

I remember thinking, “I hope nobody makes me do something like this one day.” (maniacal laugh!)

That day came but it was far more fun and exciting than picking up garbage off the streets and taking pictures of homeless people!

It was the Connected in Motion 2nd World Diabetes Day Photo Scavenger Hunt. Granted I'm a few weeks late on posting this but the intentions were there!

Onwards...
After an extremely stressful and eye gouge inducing drive into downtown Toronto, we all met. We teamed up and headed over to the Banting and Best exhibit to have a look at the display before causing amok around the city.

We were given a binder with literally hundreds of things with different amounts of points. We were also sent off with a tote filled to the brim with Dex4 glucose tablets and a few other random items we would need. Luckily it wasn’t raining but it was certainly very chilly. The trick to getting the most points was in the strategy. Do we go for the items that are harder, farther away and require a lot of time but have big points? Or do we get as many of the lower point items as possible? We went with the ladder.

So for your viewing pleasure, here are some of the pictures of the things we did:





















This sure was a fantastic way to celebrate World Diabetes Day. The scavenger hunt took place in cities all over the globe. I’m sure it will be even bigger next year. Thanks to the awesome folks (Virtue & Jen!) who orchestrated this whole thing. We had a pretty awesome time! I might re-consider taking the train next year though. I came very close to exploding from the frustration of gridlock and the countless hours we spent getting there and back.

To see pictures from other teams, cities and countries go to the Connected in Motion WDD Photo Scavenger Hunt page on Flickr.

7 comments:

  1. Is that a blue haired smurf in the group?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had fun at the scavenger hunt!!

    I'm so sorry to hear about the Picasa incident.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about the old photos... but the new ones are great. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these pics! So awesome! What a great time!

    I'm so sorry to hear about your web album thing and all of the bloggy blog pictures being gone. Some smart person must know a way to get them back...??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like tons of fun! We so need to do this next year...the girls would have a great time, I'm sure!

    Totally SUCKS about your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i totally have a fear of deleting things from my computer and this is exactly why!! my daughter thinks i'm crazy, but your post just goes to show me. sorry it happened but like scott says, there has to be some smart person out there that can get them back for you. i hope you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you can figure out a way to get the pictures back (that doesn't require too much work!). That scavenger hunt looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)