Friday, November 30, 2012

Strive

Endo: I’ve never seen this side of you before
Me: What, you mean the happy side?

It’s true. The only Scully my endo has ever seen is the angry bitter one who always leaves crying.

Today was the day. The dreaded endo appointment. My fear and distaste for going to him grows with each and every visit. In fact This is the first time I had been in to see him in 6 months.

If you have been reading my blog for a while then you probably know where my apprehension lays. My A1C has never been under 7% in 10 years as a ‘betic. Not for lack of trying either. I’ve struggled for years. Every time I leave my endo it takes me longer than the last time to get my footing enough to utter that phrase that gets under my skin, “try again” or “try harder”. Both of which weren’t fathomable given the amount of dedication I was already putting forth. I eat very healthy. I’m an athlete. I live a low carb life. I rarely over treat lows and even the lows I treat, more often than not I use glucose tablets.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying an A1C above 7% is unhealthy. I just felt it was not tight enough control for my liking.

My cholesterol has been an atomic wedgie in my pants also. No offense to anybody out there but I had the lipid profile of an overweight, inactive, red meat-eating, cigarette smoking, middle-aged man. I’m not kidding. I’ve never once seen my LDL go down since I got diagnosed. I tried everything to bring it down naturally but even my best efforts left my LDL elevated every 4 months. So I reluctantly started on my statins I was given 2 years ago. My LDL is starting to come down. Like yogurt on curry. I just had to accept that the only thing that was going to work was drugs.

Lastly, my CVD risk (cardiovascular disease) has been like an active volcano. Not that my heart was for sure going to erupt and spew lava but my risk factor was off the charts. Bolded with double asterisks high for the past couple years. There was increasing concern. This time there was virtually zero risk. Down into the atmosphere with the rest of the humans.

So the A1C, have I made you scratch your knees? My endo couldn’t even tell me himself. He turned the monitor toward me and merely pointed. Where my A1C is usually surrounded in a red coloured background was a cool green colour. And the number said, 6.5%. This is HUGE!

I smiled like it was an early birthday gift (because it was). I looked at him and said, “Are you f*cking kidding me?” (yes I swore in front of my Endo and didn’t even apologize). I ranted about how I worked my ass off but did not feel the familiar burning inside. I felt calm and assured. I felt like a gigantic weight had been lifted from my eyes. I felt like for the first time in 10 years I could breathe.

Like I finally passed the exam.

Not that the exams are over, I still need to do this for the rest of my life. The difference is that I finally achieved something I was convinced was unattainable.

STRIVE FOR 6.5%!

I’ll go into details another day about what I attribute this success to but for now, I’m going to celebrate. I’m going to celebrate feeling like my organs aren’t as compromised as they used to be. 

21 comments:

  1. I am so damn proud of you! It's "just a number," but it's nice to see it reflect how much effort you're putting into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I have yet to see that side of 7. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is AWESOME,& I hope you celebrate it up! its so nice when the D-stars align for once. Here's a long,healthy life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome-I hope you celebrate it up! It's so nice when the D-stars align for once. Here's to a very long & healthy life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That.Is.FANTASTIC!

    Not sure if I should suggest a cupcake here, but you should definitely celebrate somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Scully that is just awesome!! I love that you sweared in front of your Endo :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a huge smile on my face. SO elated for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesomeness! Go, Scully! Routing for you down in MA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beyond effing awesome!
    Go celebrate your ass off!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woohoo! Congratulations kiddo. That's a great bit of news to hear. Keep up the good work and keep being happy. It becomes you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome!

    No matter what the number is, it's nice when the number matches the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So chuffed for you, congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! How awesome... So happy for you and I just bet it felt FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  14. congratulations, scully!!! i know how you feel about the a1c. i recently reached my a1c goal too. it's so nice to see your effort reflected in the results. :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)