Friday, October 12, 2012

Some love for #CIMluv

Connected in Motion has been looking for people to write about what CIM means to them. I thought I would add my #CIMluv too! Have a read through Virtue's CIM love at that link.


Name? Scully

Where? Hamilton, Ontario

What can you tell us about life with diabetes?

First of all, IT SUCKS!

I can also tell you that it's very difficult to manage. Impossible even. It's physically, emotionally and mentally draining. It consumes and dominates nearly every decision I make all 24 hours of the day. It never EVER ends. Every little thing affects blood sugar from the time of day to what I ate yesterday to what I'm doing later. To the rotation of the earth and the angle of the sun...

It's very hard for anyone who doesn't have it to fully understand it. It motivates me to be a better person. To be healthier and to understand my body better than 90% of the population. It drives me to seek out friendships and support from people who "get it".


Ottawa half marathon, May 2012

How did you come to your first event at Connected in Motion?

I had been lurking CIM for awhile online. I kept going back to the website to see what sort of events were happening and how I could slide in to the community without making too big of an awkward splash. I needed to break the ice, so to speak. Nothing is weirder than trying to join a group of people who already know each other when I am a stranger. I stayed away for a long time actually. Secretly watching from the sidelines as this cult-like green group of folks were gallivanting and having adventures. I was eager to join the big annual winter slipstream that started it all but I just couldn't afford it. When the spring of 2011 came along and the annual summer canoe trip registrations were open, I literally jumped in cold turkey and blind.

As my parents were driving me to Toronto that evening I was scared out of my mind to tell you the truth. I was about to spend 3 or 4 straight days with a group of strangers. The only thing connecting us was type 1 diabetes. I didn't know a single person. I walked into the room for orientation and immediately saw Jen and Chloe's faces as I recognized them from photos online. They had been the ones I was corresponding with over email. I remember the huge friendly and GENUINE smile on Jen's face as she came up and said, "SCULLY! It's so great to finally meet you!". You can't fake that kind of friendliness. 

I've never immediately felt so welcomed and comfortable around a group of strangers than I did that night.


Annual canoe trip July 2011

I wrote about my canoe trip experience HERE. It was kind of an emotional awakening for me.

I made so many new friends. It was the most open and accepting group of people ever. Nobody felt left out or ostracized. It really changed my life and that's not the first time I've said that. I've also heard that from a lot of people who have been to CIM events.


Winter slipstream January 2012

What has Connected in Motion meant to you?

EVERYTHING.
No, seriously, everything.

Sometimes I feel bad for people with functioning pancreii as a lot of these events are for insulin junkies only.

What does it mean?? Awesome people.
Caring, supportive, helpful.
Creative.
EDUCATIONAL! I love that the events include brainstorming and discussions.

I love that we all really give a sh*t about one another. I stay in regular contact with a lot of people that have become some of my closest friends. Any time someone has a question diabetes related we all get involved. I feel very welcomed and included.

Ottawa race weekend

Every time I hang out with these people my sides hurt when I go home from laughing so much. It's hard to comprehend how the crap that is diabetes can create such a tight group of people. We always welcome new members with open arms and warm hearts.

CIM has provided a platform for which non-official events spin off of.

This weekend? A bunch of us are getting together for trampoline dodgeball. How fun does that sound? Yeah, I can't wait. Especially because my team is dressing up à la Jem and the Holograms style. Oh yeah, bring on the leopard print! The very next day is the Toronto Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon/Half Marathon/5km. I'm getting up at the crack of dawn to drive into Toronto and not to race. I'm going to cheer on all my CIM friends and stalk them with my camera. Why? because they are my FRIENDS!

Indoor rock climbing, August 2012

For more CIM love, visit the Facebook page or @ConnectinMotion and #CIMluv

3 comments:

  1. What? Leopard print? Who are you and what have you done with Scully? :-P

    CIM sounds amazing! We have a Type 1 Sports "workshop" group that meets quarterly, but we don't have any active outings like CIM. Very jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trampoline dodgeball....? sounds awesome! I expect a post on this! ;)

    I've kind of been creeping on CIM since my diagnosis too. Most of the events are pretty far for me which = lots of money. Keeping my eye open for something in my budget though! Sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so going to get there one of these days. This sounds like an amazing group doing amazing things. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)