Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The DOC suffers a loss

I cannot fully express the depth to which this news has effected me. To come up with words is impossible but it seems we all keep trying.

A death in the community is often news of someone dying as a result of their diabetes or complications. This is a little different but impacts us all just as hard.



There was a man. He was a member of the diabetes online community by proxy. This man was the wife of a D-mom blogger. This man was part of a team. Meri and Ryan have 4 boys and 3 of them have type 1 diabetes. They are the surrogate robot pancreases for their 3 boys and my god that's a big job to handle.

The Schuhmacher family

Ryan passed away from a failed battle with cancer. It was unfair to take a man away from his family.

My stomach leaped into my throat and I stopped everything I was doing. I just kept thinking, this can't be real. I knew he was suffering and I knew the battle was winning with each and every update I read. It seemed to be getting harder and harder to hold out hope. Eventually it came down to wishing for a miracle and sadly the family never got it. My heart aches for this family in a way I never thought possible.

He fought a hard battle (as all cancer patients do) and he lost. It has left the community in sadness as we all mourn for our good friend Meri and her four boys who have lost a husband and a father at such a young age.

I didn't actually introduce myself to the family as I watched them in and around the hotel at FFL. There was so much going on I just didn't want to aid in the overwhelmingness of it all since Ryan was suffering then. I wanted to say hi. I saw the kids at the pool. I saw Meri praying with other members of the DOC. I had tears in my eyes at the news that was going around that weekend as we all learned Ryan was suddenly not well.

From the bottom of my heart, may the family find some way to move on. May the diabetes online community hold you up.

For donations to the Schuhmacher Family please go HERE. Anything helps when devastation like this strikes.

3 comments:

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)