Monday, June 18, 2012

Riding with Bullet Man

Saturday morning I rode with THIS GUY:


Okay okay, so he only did that once while flying down a hill. he turned himself into a bullet, I had to pedal like mad just to keep up with him and take this picture.

It was a beautiful day of riding. Nice cool morning (and super hot afternoon). Quiet roads and a destination I couldn't say no to. A cafe on the river about 50km away. You motivate me with coffee remember! Tell me we're riding to a burger joint and I'll say "no thanks." Give me an outdoor patio cafe on the river? Now you're talking my language. Except for their broken espresso machine it was a pleasant cup of coffee and rest stop.

This friend of mine is rather pro. I knew the day we would go riding together he would give me a run for my money. I warned him time and time again that I would slow him down. Seems this day though, he just wanted a riding partner bad enough to put up with my slow self. As I learned though, it's pretty worthwhile to have people who are so much more experienced to ride with. Especially if they can try to be patient with you -- er -- ME. He taught me some new language and a few signals I didn't already know. He taught me a bit about my gears and I learned that I am apparently riding on a compact crankset which I didn't even have a clue about. Hell just a few weeks ago a friend asked if I was riding on tubulars and I was like, "Uhhmm.. NO." Sure enough I come out of the bathroom and he points to my tire where it clearly says right there, "TUBULAR". Ooooh.... right, sure, yeah mmm hmm.

I never proclaim to be a bike expert. I know how it works and I know terminology but beyond that - I can put it together and take it apart real quick, does that count? I keep 'er real clean and in tip top shape. I know how to pump up tires and stuff. But ask me what size rear cassette I have and I'm like, "hang on, let me count teeth..."

I also never proclaim to be a riding expert. I have learned so much the past few months from pros that is invaluable. I take criticism well and I'm eager to watch and learn. You tell me what to do and I'll try to do it. This is mostly new to me after all. I admit to being a bit absent minded. I'm a clumsy girl who doesn't know her lefts from right and OFTEN forgets which way shifts up and down. Though for the record, there are times where I forget which way is reverse in my car. It's some form of dyslexia I'm convinced.

SO... Chris (the bullet on the bike up there) was very patient with me. He slowed down at the top of hills as I huffed and puffed to keep up. And I TRIED hard.. to keep up with him. Most of the time he went at a pace I could handle which I know was a pace far slower than what his slow pace is. At one point about 80km into the 115km ride I asked him what his average perceived effort is, full well knowing I would be discouraged. He says, "Oh about 60%". And I'm thinking, wow, I'm not even going to mention what mine has been.

I'm not sure he'll ride with me again, maybe when he needs an ego boost or when there are other slower folks around to keep me company while he takes off ahead with his fast friends.


This was our SECOND coffee stop and my favourite iced coffee. There is so much in this picture. My Tour de Cure water bottle peeking out there, the Freestyle test strip on the saucer and the brilliant idea of coffee ice cubes!

I only had to stop once near the end to check my BG and down a gel. I never went low on the ride so I felt proud of being able to manage my D with a non D rider. Forget about the debilitating low I had later that afternoon, but that was okay because I wasn't on the bike. Not having to stop for diabetes makes me feel like I've got it taken care of. It makes me feel NORMAL amongst the regular folk. Even though under the surface I'm thinking about my carb timing and watching my clock to know when to mow down. Every 45-60mins with a -40% TBR reduction. Shot blocks and Stinger chews, easy to eat while maintaining a good speed.


Finally, this was the longest stair climb I've ever done to get back up the escarpment. I had to stop FOUR times to catch my breath. After riding 110km, those 330 steps were nearly impossible for me! I was super wiped.

7 comments:

  1. I have never seen anyone crouch on a bike like that. I thought it was a joke. Seriously - how can he even steer that way? Crazy!

    Congrats on keeping up (for the most part) and being almost non-diabetic on the ride. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good ride. And HELLO! Coffee ice cubes. So there. Best idea. EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tubular tires... that's why you're so fast. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again (I know, I keep repeating myself), just reading about this is exhausting. And 330 steps - good grief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bike shot of your friend is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! So cool...and coffee is a wonderful motivator Sculls.

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)