Saturday, May 19, 2012

D Blog Week Day 6 - Saturday Snapshots



Today is day 6 and the topic is "Saturday Snapshots" for Diabetes Blog Week
For more posts on this topic go HERE.

"Back for the third year, let’s show everyone what life with diabetes looks like!  With a nod to the Diabetes 365 project, let’s grab our cameras again and share some more d-related pictures.  Post as many or as few as you’d like.  Feel free to blog your thoughts on or explanations of your pictures, or leave out the written words and let the pictures speak for themselves."


As some of you know I'm big on the pictures. I am known for documenting my life from the big to the small in photographs. As I was going back and picking out shots I realized that I take A LOT of pictures of diabetes and D related stuff. I had no idea! So sit back because there's a lot to see in this post.



For a post I wrote about the obvious but never published


Just a day in the life...


A sure fire sign that your CGM sensor is on the fritz


From when I was test strip rationing due to lack of insurance


Set up before my first Around the Bay race


Post around the bay CGM graph. I was VERY proud of this!


I call this one, "5 days of life in 1.8ml"


Post spin class high. This was taken a long time ago when I was trying to get a handle on the post exercise highs.


The things you can find in my change purse


My half-assed attempt at waterproofing my pump before a wet rainy half marathon last May.


The contents of my little clutch purse before I went to a gala event. We've got the necessities! glucose meter, strips and lancet. Eye drops for those dry contact lenses and a tube of glucose tablets.


Infected sensor site.


Diabetes Art Day. That is my blood


Custom made Tummietote with bib toggles. After my marathon.


A completely mangled cannula that was in my arm.


Another post exercise high. Note the blood on the ESC key 


One of my more memorable CGM graphs indeed


I took this one eons ago. My blood sugar tanked while I was sitting in my car at a drive-thru oil change place in the fucking dead heat of summer.


Rockets in the changeroom at the mall. Lows while shopping... just another norm.


From when I worked in an office with 2 other type 1 diabetics


My sexy seductive pump shot for "Take a picture of your pump day"


I took this once out on a long run. "butterfly on a rock"


A night of hell


fill 'er up


This little bugger went wee wee wee... all the way to the moon


Thank you Medtronic for the awesome mug!


Connected in Motion Slipstream. 60 type 1 diabetics, barely 2 days.


Bottom of the Dex container


This picture pisses me off. I now use the Freestyle meter exclusively


This is what happens when you buy a new shirt and don't wash it first. Purple tubing anyone?


Diabetes likes to be festive too y'know.


Sensor insertion at the airport. When it bleeds I always get a good run on the CGM


There are times where I will revert back to syringe for all my boluses if I feel something is up


LASTLY, This happened to me just a few weeks ago when I inserted a brand new site. It grossed me out so much but made for a neat picture. The blood filled half the tube before I noticed!

And that, my friends, is my diabetic life.

13 comments:

  1. I think I will now call Smarties, Rockets in honor of all my Canadian friends with diabetes! :)

    And I have NEVER seen a vampire cannula that extreme - that is a LOT of blood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! I must be extremely lucky in comparison. Never had a vampire or a mangled cannula...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pictures. I like that you included the blood photo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos! (diabetes is such an inspiring disease...well, from the artistic side, if nothing else. Still wish I didn't have to be inspired.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos! My fav is the "5 days of life in 1.8ml" one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fantastic set of photos! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos..I recognize that last one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great photos scully. i've never had a "vampire cannula" thank god! it reminds of IV's i had that back up like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos! That last photo of the bloody tubing got me!! I kinda like the purple tubing too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm bookmarking this post because it's the perfect visual representation of diabetes, striking and true. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)