Thursday, May 17, 2012

D Blog Week Day 4 - Fantasy Diabetes Device





Today is day 4 and the topic is "Fantasy Diabetes Device" for Diabetes Blog Week
For more posts on this topic go HERE.

"Today let’s tackle an idea inspired by Bennet of Your Diabetes May Vary.  Tell us what your Fantasy Diabetes Device would be?  Think of your dream blood glucose checker, delivery system for insulin or other meds, magic carb counter, etc etc etc.  The sky is the limit – what would you love to see?"

There are a shit ton of ideas that I could come up with. A lot of unrealistic ones and others that could only exist in the fantasy world in my head. I, however, chose to write about something that may actually be created. In hopes that someone smarter than me might read my blog and be able to make it for me.

My fantasy diabetes device is an all purpose indestructible glucose meter.


I've written about it before, HERE, or HERE, or HERE, or HERE just to name a few. My distaste and disappointment for the options of blood glucose checking devices that exist out there is large. Devices that are created for folks who live sedentary lives. For people who aren't clumsy and have no need to check BG's anywhere but brightly lit rooms. People who perpetually live in daylight and never go where it's hot or cold or wet or snowy...




Do you see where I'm going with this?

A glucose meter that is small in size. Has all parts contained so lancets and strip containers aren't separate. A meter with a protective AND waterproof case. A meter that can withstand a greater temperature range than 5-25 degrees Celsius. A meter that can be used with ONE hand while running or cycling. A meter with a back-light AND a strip light. A meter I don't have to shove in my sports bra or stash hot pockets with it. A meter I'm not afraid of dropping on the ground or getting sweat on it. A meter I don't have to baby. 

I don't care about a big memory or a rechargeable battery. I don't care about plugging it into the computer or it magically figuring out BG trends. I don't care if it's colourful or comes with skins. I just want it to be functional in ALL sorts of situations.

Just because I have type 1 diabetes does not mean I can't be in those precarious situations. Running in the rain? Yes. Sometimes I feel like meter companies design their meters without sports and activity in mind. Like diabetics that simply DON'T do stuff like that. Besides, it's not like wanting to check my BG at 2am is a precarious situation. Sure I've learned ways to blindly find the strip, get it into the meter and lance my finger before I need a bit of light. That's not the point. I shouldn't have to figure that out.

A lot of people have the luxury of being able to rely on CGMs but without any sort of insurance coverage or aid in Canada that's not something that can be counted on.

I know there are a lot of people out there that agree with me. The Diabetic Camper included.

The closest I've come to this reality is the Mendor Discreet which I had the opportunity of trying it out (review has been sitting in my draft folder for months). Sadly this meter is not FDA approved and not available in North America. It's from Finland.

6 comments:

  1. I love this! And it ought to be doable if they'd just try it. You'd think something so important to us would be made better. My kids popped the battery lid off mine yesterday and took the whole darn thing apart and they are not tiny geniuses. Sheesh. That Mendor Discreet is gorgeous....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been coveting your Mendor meter ever since you showed it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this idea it is realistic and will be a great meter for the cold dark snowy and rainy Canadian winters. I started snow shoeing during the winter a couple of years ago and I can see your meter being very very handy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The no light thing bugs me the most. It's annoying...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boss is in Finland right now. Maybe I should see if she could bring me one of those back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi All,

    Thank you for the very nice comments! You are the main reason we are doing what we do!

    We are in the process of getting the FDA approval, but it is hard to say when we get it. However, we suggest following @mendor_com at twitter and checking out our Facebook page www.facebook.com/mendorfin frequently in order to stay up to date!

    Please feel to get in touch, if you have any further questions :)

    comment by @RikuLindholm

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)