Tuesday, May 15, 2012

D Blog Week Day 2 - One Great Thing



Today is day 2 and the topic is "One Great Thing" for Diabetes Blog Week
For more posts on this topic go HERE.

"Living with diabetes (or caring for someone who lives with it) sure does take a lot of work, and it’s easy to be hard on ourselves if we aren’t “perfect”.  But today it’s time to give ourselves some much deserved credit.  Tell us about just one diabetes thing you (or your loved one) does spectacularly!  Fasting blood sugar checks, oral meds sorted and ready, something always on hand to treat a low, or anything that you do for diabetes.  Nothing is too big or too small to celebrate doing well!"

I call it the "parachute landing" and I've perfected it over the years.

Let me explain.

When my blood sugar goes super frustratingly high, I can't handle it. I am very sensitive to highs and when I get into the high teens (16-20mmol/l - 280-360mg/dl) I suffer a lot. I get awful cramps and extremely bad nausea. I get disoriented, dizzy and foggy. I hate that it takes 10 minutes to recover from a low but 4 hours to recover from a high. I don't have patience to wait and suffer. I used to just (1)rage bolus and then suffer the resulting low.

Then over the years I've developed the "parachute landing". I still rage bolus. I'll give myself two or three times what my pump would recommend. Sometimes I just slap that sucker with 10 whole units via syringe. I want to get that BSBG (bullshitbloodglucose) down as fast as fucking possible. Then I monitor carefully. I test every 15 or 20 minutes until I catch the plummet. Then... like the superstar bad ass diabetic mother fucker that I am, I eat something RIGHT before I come smashing into the ground. I eat just enough but not too much to land softly and carefully in a soft mossy knoll (in my imagination). 

Like a pro lands a parachute.

I've gotten really good at it.



See how the person comes flying down really fast and right before the earth breaks their teeth they pull up on the reigns and float so effortlessly and softly down.


(1) Rage Bolus: The act of suffering from a high bloodsugar for an extended period of time or for an unknown reason and the retaliatory insulin dose. Often times results in a low bloodsugar.


Go to The Diabetes Terms of Endearment for more definitions.

15 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're a pro because that sounds super scary. You are for sure a superstar bad ass diabetic mother fucker...but I hope Cara never learns this!! speaking from a mother's perspective ;) AHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG ----- I love you! I love this fucking post and I love BSBG. Also thrilled you have mastered the 'parachute landing'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes you gotta do whatever works (even if it is a bit risky). Highs just suck the life out of a person.(I sympathize) Glad you've found something that knocks your highs down super-fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the post and "parachute landing" I will use this the next time I have a high :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a pretty neat trick. That would make a neat D-Blog week topic. Neat tricks we can do with diabetes. Like the fact I can often guess my BG down to the decimal point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe I didn't know it was called parachute landing!-excellent description. It's nothing short of bad ass that you do this well. It feels rough to be high and to come down quickly but like you, I too get very impatient with highs, I do anything to come down quickly, even shooting up in my muscle. Rock on Scully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!!! I'm laughing as I read this...at my desk...at work. I'm sure the next time I hit a high, I will remember this and laugh..then catch my own parachute landing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm... interesting. I'm chickenshit when it comes to the power of insulin, but I hate BSBG.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have done that but I am not good at the landing. I love the term!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another term to add to the D-Dictionary! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great description, Scully!! Love that term (especially since I seem to go BG sky-diving so often!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great post! I was laughing out loud reading it! Love your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG i love you! and your terminology slays me!! BSBG's gotta love it! i had a BSBG this morning (22.8) so i did a correction and then i got hungry so i bolused for breaky and upped the basal to +80%....nice parachute landing 3 hrs later at 4.8 (with insulin on board so i ate again, naturally!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)