Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Naked Calories - The Book


I received this book at no cost to read and review after being contacted by one of the authors.

It's written by Jayson and Mira Calton who are highly educated and trustworthy people from the interactions I've had with them.


Impressive Fact: They set off on a 6 year, around-the-world research expedition with one particular goal in mind: to study the effects of modernization on the lifestyle and nutrition habits of people and to determine whether there was a correlation between modernization and disease. 

I'm always up for learning new things about diet and nutrition to help me make better choices. Don't get me wrong, I am far from the perfect eater but knowledge is power after all right? So I perused through this book to try and extract the useful nuggets of information that I'd like to share.

So what are "naked calories"? When our food choices are stripped of their essential, health-promoting vitamins and minerals, and are therefore "naked". Similar to the term "empty calories". So nutrients are the substances that nourish us. Nutrients come in the form of vitamins and minerals as well as carbs, fats and proteins. The whole shebang of what we eat.

I will direct you to read the book if you'd like to learn more about how things like soil deficiency are stripping our food of nutrients. For my purpose, I'd like to share with you what I took away from this book.

In a nutshell? Everyday life things from stress to coffee to Advil are considered depleters of our nutrients. Leaving us unable to achieve the required amount of nourishment in our every day lives. Even exercise can jeopardize our nutrient sufficiency. I wouldn't deny that fact since it's still considered stress on our bodies.

The book goes into popular diet plans like Atkins and South Beach and how they compare with nutrient sufficiency. I gotta say, I'm glad I'm not a dieter but it still freaks me out to learn everything my body is NOT getting. It was at this point in the book I felt like I wanted the book to turn into a "choose your own adventure" and I could be whisked away to an easy answer. The truth is, there is no super easy answer. Truths suck sometimes but I'd rather know the facts then go about totally unaware.

The elementary ways to fix this?

1. Choose Rich Food: Find fresh, local foods grown and raised in a safe and responsible method.
2. Drive Down Depletion: Decide which factors in your life are having adverse effects on nutrient absorption.
3. Supplement: A good multivitamin without undesireable fillers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the type to go out and build a greenhouse in my backyard as much as I would LOVE that. I also won't be going out and shelling out twice as much for organic food either because, well, I'm simply not rich. I am trying to make lifestyle changes to cut out some stress but 90% of it will still be there and I can't help it. I will keep in mind what I learned, though. It sure was an eye opener.

This is a good book written by GENUINE people with a strong understanding of nutrition. And because I can't possibly write all the good things I learned in a blog, I'd recommend picking up a copy. It's a definite eye opener.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)