Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sick and a bit twisted

Last night was a long night.
I've caught a flu/cold and I can't really tell which it is. It's a bit of both. My weapons of choice to get sleep and ease a few of the symptoms is Neo Citran and NyQuil.


I thought the best way to attack a long night of sick would be to run my blood sugars a bit higher. I don't have a lot of problems with high BG's when I'm sick like most people do. In fact my BG tends to stay even keel for some reason.

I am always afraid of over the counter drugs that knock me the fuck out. I fear that I won't wake up to a low until it's really bad. See folks, I don't have a CGM full-time since it costs me way too much money out of pocket. Sometimes I set alarms in the middle of the night but normally I don't.

What was I saying? There was a point to this post.

DRUGS... why do they not have to have the nutritional info on the packages? Last night in the middle of the night I was drinking Neo Citran and taking Nyquil. It never occurred to me what is in the stuff. I was up so much during the night that I was able to watch my blood sugar react. The NyQuil did quite the number on me.

So Now, the morning after is when I have half a brain to look it up on the internet. So for the record, Neo Citran has 20g of carbs and one serving (can you really call it a serving?) of NyQuil has almost 20g also.  Um.. yeah, 20 grams of uncovered carbs is enough to push me over the edge. Last night I had 3 packages of Neo Citran and one of NyQuil.  40g of carbs? OOOooo EEeeee..  Yup.

But I know now. Shouldn't they put that info right on the package? I don't think I need to resort to the internet for it.

I posted this video a long time ago but I feel the need to post it again:

NyQuil, NyQuil, NyQuil we love you, you giant fucking "Q"!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't taken any cold meds (knock on wood) since diagnosed. I wouldn't have even thought to look for carb counts.
    Now I know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NyQuil always makes my blood sugar go super high. I never realized it has 20g of carbs. It now makes sense! I hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a sugar free Neocitran!

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)