Friday, January 13, 2012

The Book of Better


Life with diabetes can't be perfect, make it better.

There is a boatload of truth in that one sentence alone.

Yeah I know, I'm really behind here.
I received this book to read and review a couple months ago like a large portion of the DOC. I read it on the plane ride to Tucson last month and have been... well... procrastinating... obviously!

Overall, I very much enjoyed this book. I read it cover to cover and enjoyed almost all aspects of it. I am not a huge reader of these kinds of books because they are usually laid out in a much more boring stale format. I own a few diabetes books that put me to sleep. Too stringent with a side of finger wagging.

This book is the complete opposite. Although a lot of the points are the same as the stale books, but I read it all, without falling asleep and I enjoyed it. What can I say, I love me some iconography and creative presentation. I am drawn to creativity. I think I spent more time staring at the cute little pictures. But really, this book holds a lot of good information on how to be BETTER and how not to be so damn hard on ourselves. It holds a lot of good values and emphasis on how we can't be perfect but any little bit is better than nothing.

It's a great philosophy to accept  into life with diabetes. And this book drilled it in over and over.


More than even the eye candy and graphics, the language in which it was written was super duper. I was a bit disappointed that there was no swear words but I imagined them there for myself. I know not everybody wants to read curse words. But seriously, it was more like a REAL person WITH diabetes wrote this from personal experience. Want to know why? Because that's the truth! The author, Chuck Eichten is design director at Nike Inc. and he has diabetes. I will be honest, just knowing that he is the design director at Nike was enough for me to want to read this book. I do have a love for sports equipment and clothing and thought this guy must be for real. The book is really written through the eyes of someone who exudes creativity and fun. Someone who is real. Someone who fully admits to fucking up a lot and learning from his diabetes kerfuffles.

HOWEVER, I won't be the first one to admit that his obsession with insulin pumps goes a bit too far. There's a whole huge chapter on how great the pump is and how every single diabetic on the face of the planet should have one or else they are failing as diabetics. I got it, the message came through bright and clear. I also hovered over that chapter without letting it effect me. I've said this to a few shooter uppers (aka MDI folks) over the past few years, "If I could make my diabetes work the way you do on shots, I wouldn't even think twice about it. I'd throw the pump out the window." There is a certain freedom that comes from not being tethered. The pump, for me, is a constant reminder. My days on MDI were so much more free. The shitty part? My diabetes suffered hardcore on shots. I struggled for 6 years until I was able to obtain a pump. I'd never go back (permanently) to shots. The point is, there are folks out there who do wonderfully on shots. Ahem, Sysy! Better than I could ever do on a pump.

So Chucks opinion is biased and not entirely accurate. The insulin pump is NOT better for everybody.


Some folks also found the text and background colours to be difficult to read. It was certainly a bit awkward but for a short cute book, it didn't bother me at all. To each his own.

There was so much in this book that would take me forever and a day to review each chapter. The chapter on food though? Hit home pretty hard with me.


"Every bite of food you take affects your diabetes. Every bite you don't take affects your diabetes. Every bite tips the balance or helps restore it. Every bite. All the time. No matter what."

And people wonder why I have such bad food issues.

Any way, I really loved this book! Please read it if you get a chance!

Three Rivers Press
I received this book at no charge in exchange for a review.

8 comments:

  1. Do you know if the book is coming out in the UK by any chance? I'd love to have a look at it. The dog photo made me snigger at my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about that dog graphic! Too funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out :) I loved to read your thoughts on this book. In fact, when I read it, I thought of you because it's straight shooting, funny, and real. And the whole Nike sports thing mixed with diabetes just sort of automatically brings me to you anyhow, hehe :D Glad you liked the book, I hope people will read this review and buy the book. It's definitely an inspiring and entertaining read :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am about halfway throuh reading the book. The point is good but the yellow on black with white type and everything drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the food chapter hit me the hardest, too. i have food issues too. and it made me wonder how every person with diabetes out there doesn't wind up with an eating disorder. seriously...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to get my hands on the book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, you finally convinced me to put it in my Amazon cart.... Like I need another book to read. Then again, I didn't need diabetes either, but here it is!

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)