Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Love/Hate relationship with my CGM

It's a love/hate relationship.

Yesterday I started feeling sick with a cold. Complete with light-headed feeling and all. I went out to run a few errands. Last time I checked my CGM it was on it's way up with arrows and all. I had a banana for breakfast which usually makes my blood sugar sky-rocket.

Upon arriving home I felt even MORE light headed. It was like I was really high on drugs. I thought at that moment, hmm.. maybe I should check my blood sugar. Since I keep my pump in my cleavage, I won't check the CGM as often since it requires fishing it out of my bra. My blood sugar was at 2.4mmol/l (43mg/dl). I wasn't getting the usual sweaty shaky tunnel vision symptoms I normally get. I simply felt light-headed. So I grabbed a juice box and flopped on the couch. Just as I was sucking back the last little bits from the bottom of the container did I hear the familiar descending tone of my CGM detecting a low blood sugar. I laughed, out loud.

I love the info the CGM provides but the delay can be frustrating. I later saw that the banana did a quick little spike (not as high as it should have gone) and then came down really fast. Had I checked the graph earlier I would have been able to SEE it, but like I said, it didn't occur to me to go fishing in my cleavage. Combine that with my head cold sky high brain and I can see where it all went wrong. But that's just one little incident.


After this mornings low'ish skirt around the low threshold. It was accurate at least but annoying as fuck.

I'm still trying to find a place in my life to justify the CGM. It's such a love/hate relationship. It's not very trustworthy when I'm exercising because of the delay. It's not very trustworthy at any point in the day really. The soul purpose of this thing so far that I've been able to find is being able to watch the trends and learn that pretty much everything I eat fucks my blood sugar violently. It does very little else aside from keeping me awake all night long with it's incessant alarms.

But even after saying that, I do love it. It has been the only tool I've had that has helped to bring down my A1C. The only problem with that is that I simply can NOT afford it 24/7 at $50 a sensor.

Oh the relationship woes.

6 comments:

  1. Wow that is so expensive. My insurance won't cover one for me and I can't afford it. That said, I imagine I'd have a love/hate relationship with it, too, based on what I've read here and elsewhere. The day they manage to make it much more accurate and real time, that will be the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can seriously relate. Saturday and Sunday night I was sensor-free. Saturday night I had a wicked nypo and Sunday night I woke up uncomfortably high. So last night, with a sensor in, I figured I'd finally have a good night. But instead, the damn thing woke me up unnecessarily at least 4 times. Unnecessarily!! AUGH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya. I've concluded that in my case, it's more useful as a diagnostic tool (i.e. occasional trends analysis to tweak basals or trying to ascertain the level of fucked a certain food can cause) than a day-to-day management tool. It's too unreliable and causes me too much emotional angst to be used for anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! I broke up with my sensor over a year ago. $50 for three days of semi accurate results followed by three more days of rather inaccurate ones. Not worth the money or the aggravation.

    I'm hoping that, by the time I'm due for a new pump, they will have figured out a fabulous system that works beautifully. in the meantime, I'm saving my money and my sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stopped wearing one a few years ago because of the exercise issues as well. I found them not to be accurate while running...when I needed them to be the most accurate. I actually feel like I'm a more controlled diabetic without one now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this, Scully. Sorry you've been feeling sick. I totally relate to the CGM justification debate... I've been extraordinarily lucky in being able to try the Minimed version on a way long trial basis and got to experience it. Now I have the same experience with a basically never-ending Dex use. But for all the benefits, I just don't think I'd want to buy one flat out for what it currently offers. Maybe a future generation CGM is what I'm waiting on...

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)