Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Dangerously Sleep Deprived

I just spent the weekend in Tucson, Arizona for my first Team Type 1 camp. There is a plethora of things to write about with regards to that. So much that I can't even write about it yet. That's a lie, I just haven't had enough time to sit down and write about it.

Why? Because I have been dangerously sleep deprived.

I am not someone that can function on a few hours of sleep on a regular basis. However, a few hours of sleep every once in a while is manageable. This past week for me has gone like this: 4 out of 6 nights I slept for less than 3 hours. Then it happened two nights in a row.  I will admit full on that it was totally worth it. The fun I had on Saturday night staying up late with the other members of TT1 was amazing. My mouth hurt from smiling and my stomach hurt from laughing. I figured I could catch some sleep on the long flights home but I didn't.

After getting home on Sunday I had already purchased tickets to a concert I was dying to go to. It was also my birthday. I was willing to do anything to get to that show. The only problem? I didn't get home and to bed until 2am and subsequently had to be up at 5:30am to get to work.

Monday was one of the worst sleep deprived days I've ever experienced. Add to the fact that it was my first day back at an old job. I had to somehow appear normal. I owe a major thanks to my old boss who offered to carpool my ass thus saving myself and others around me from a certain car accident.

The point of the post? that I am appreciative to my close friends who are there for me when I need them. All day Monday I was having trouble keeping my blood sugar up. Perhaps it was because I was walking around dead, perhaps because with sleep deprivation comes lack of appetite. Whatever the cause, my blood sugars were being a pain. After I got home from work and from the longest day of my life I was afraid to go to sleep.

What if my low blood sugars continue to trend downward? Once I hit the pillow I knew I would be like a sack of potatoes. I am usually a light sleeper but I knew I would be more comatose. So I asked a couple friends to send me text messages in the middle of the night. I asked them to call me if I didn't reply. So with every text message I got up and checked my blood sugar before going into another sleep coma.

Sure I could have set alarms but knowing myself, I'd turn the alarm off and roll over. At least with the friends, I have to be coherent enough to reply which means awake enough to check my BG. Although I live alone, letting someone know was a big step for me. My blood sugar didn't crash all night and I'm so grateful for that.

This is a long post full of not a lot of interesting things. I just wanted to drill home how much I appreciate my friends. Also, I wanted to show just how serious major sleep deprivation can be. It left me afraid to go to sleep and not sure what to do.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! and maybe i should get some friends to text me in the middle of the night 'cause i sure dont hear the alarm on my meter, or my phone, or my alarm clock, when i set them!! glad things worked out after all. look forward to hearing about Arizona!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, friends that will make sure you're okay in the middle of the night are definite "keepers."
    Happy belated birthday!
    I'm so glad you had a wonderful time with the TEAM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy BELATED Birthday and GET SOME SLEEP!! can't wait to read about team type 1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG when was you're birthday?? Anyway, happy birthday! Hope you catch up on sleep soon. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday...and I can't WAIT to hear about Tucson!!!!

    Now get some sleep...nurse's orders :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday from me too! Hope you can catch up on your sleep soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)