Saturday, December 31, 2011

The circle of a year

I'm joining the bandwagon. It's the end of 2011 so it's time to give a half assed recap complete with many links.

This year was mostly shit. FACT!
I rang in 2011 alone and asleep by 11pm. This would turn out to foreshadow much of my year.

It was difficult at best. My health was shit and my depression was immeasurable. I had so very little faith inside me and at times wished I could disappear. My running shoes would turn out to be one of the things that saved my life. I committed to them as I had nothing else to commit to. I signed up for races and running became my life. I could always trust in my shoes to make me feel better even when nothing else could. I could at least get a little endorphin rush.

I tried confiding in friends and family but in the end I pulled away from everything and everybody. Except my mother who took on the name "the rock" since she was constantly my solid ground.


In March I ran the Around the Bay 30km race. One I had never been able to see myself doing and at that time it was the farthest I had ever run. I did it, and when I finished I learned something about myself. My will and determination was going to get me through these difficult times. I also learned that 30km was fucking hard but another 12.2km makes a marathon and I'll be damned if I don't complete that.

I then hit a really REALLY bad patch of life that ate me alive. I wrote this and in return got so many supportive comments and personal emails that most certainly changed things. It took me a very long time and a boatload of friends, family and medications but I slowly dragged my ass back.


I took a road trip to Vermont that eventually changed my outlook as well. I started spending more time with Celine and learned about hills, speed intervals and connecting with another diabetic runner. A few good friends became closer friends through the power of the DOC. Sysy, Reyna, Jeff, KatieLindsay, Queenie... just to name a few who had influence on my outcome. I can't forget to mention my close family members who were like glue to me and held me together quite well.


Then in August I went on a life changing canoe trip with Connected in Motion that would connect me to even more amazing people.

The summer of 2011 was spent running for the most part. Running alone. Hours and hours of running alone.

Then as if no time passed at all, I finished my first marathon in October after a difficult night of diabetes malfunction.

The end of 2011 is going to go out with a bang. I have gained more new friends than I can shake a stick at in the past few months and I couldn't be happier. Between Connected in Motion, Team Type 1 and my blog I am feeling very full. I am working at a job I enjoy and for people I like. This year's book is going to be closed and I couldn't be more happy to start a new year. I successfully hit rock bottom in 2011 and thanks to great people, I crawled out of that hole and back into reality. I have a loving family and a great big group of loving friends. I persevered through hardships I thought might kill me and I lost 2 jobs while dealing with those things.

Then I turned the corner and opened my eyes. I discovered goodness in my disease. I discovered confidence again. I found a new Scully. 2012 is going to be a good year. I'll be racing with Team Type 1 while continuing to run as much as I can.

I don't agree with making resolutions. It's not my style. If change is going to happen it's gotta be me, not a list. I have lots of goals and things to look forward to but they are not etched in stone. So I will leave it at that.


Thanks to everybody who stood by me this difficult year, especially my family. If it weren't for you, I likely wouldn't be here. I mean that from every ounce of my being.

Happy New Year, GOOD RIDDANCE 2011!!

11 comments:

  1. I love your posts and am glad that you are through with 2011!
    I am so impressed by your enthusiasm and endurance for cycling as well as running. How do you control your blood sugars with that level of exertion? I have found that low adrenaline activities like walking (haha) are all I can do without trouble. Anyway... Wishing you all the best. Love your posts and am glad you keep sharing with the online community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Scully! although 2011 was a horribly difficult year for you, you learnt that there is nothing you can't do!! 2012 will be a stellar year for you! you have a list of followers cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ringing in the New Year catching up on blogs, and enjoying a hard cider.

    I can't wait to see what 2012 has in store for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amazing person and I love that it feels as though we've been friends for way longer than, what, a year? I can't wait to read all about your 2012 adventures, which I am sure there will be plenty filled with a few F bombs here and there; one of the many things I love about you and your blog :D Wahoo to the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me smile, Scully! Whether you are talking about shit, figuratively or literally, I love reading about it!!
    So glad you have found a new you and that I found you, too!
    Here's to a wonderful 2012, list or no list!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Scully, what an uplifting post. I'm so glad that the year brought highs to counter the lows (sorry, bad choice of words there!!!). I started to follow your blog to gain insight into my daughters future, but I’ve found it an inspiration to see how you got turned the year around for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's to a great 2012 for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so amazing! Don't forget it. I too said good riddance to 2011 lol I hope 2012 treats you better. I have a feeling it will. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to hear about your adventures in cycling!! Here's to a great 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good going Christine, your blog brought tears to my eyes - a very difficult thing to do. I am constantly amazed at your strength, determination (stubbourness) and most of all your ability to put one foot in front of the other no matter how bad things seem at the time. You get that from Erin and I who will continue to remind you that giving up is NEVER an option!
    Here is to you and all your D friends and D parents for 2012 - May only good fortune and happiness shine on you in 2012. Be strong and determined. Be gentle with those who care about you and those who need your caring. You are an amazing group of individuals who can do anything.
    Here is to all the doctors and researchers working towards a cure - MOVE YOUR ASSES!

    The Rock

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I discovered goodness in my disease. I discovered confidence again."

    Wow...that really spoke to me! I'm hoping this is a year of discovering goodness in my Diabetes. It's so easy to become overwhelmed by it all and to give up.

    Congrats on pushing through a difficult year. Happy 2012 to you. I LOVE reading your blog. I appreciate you sharing and being open and honest.

    You are a true inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)