Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Adjusting to new madness

I've been vacant in the blogosphere but it's been for a good reason. I've had very little free time to write. It's not a lack of things to write about either. My workout schedule has been pretty intense and when it comes down to the couple hours that I have left to myself everyday, I need to use that time as my mental downtime. Be that what it may.

So, here I am to share what this here body of mine has been up to. First of all, I was out riding on the weekend when I realized the marathon was ONLY 1 month ago!

Bike training is a lot like running. 3 weeks of getting progressively harder and then a rest week. Wash, rinse, repeat. I am currently spending 6-8 hours on the bike while increasing an hour or two each week. The workouts vary by type. Just like running. Tempo is still tempo and speed intervals is high cadence intervals for example. I go to spin class twice a week but most of the workouts are done on the trainer due to the weather. I'm trying to get outside every weekend but the cold weather and my lack of cold weather riding gear is making it hard for me to be out for too long.

It's been a bit of a struggle to acclimatize myself to a very different routine. Before, it was just... run. Run for 5km, run for10km, run for 25km. But overall, run. I always ran in the morning and I never wrote anything down, or recorded any of my data because it was all on the Garmin software. But now, I'm being instructed to record my sleep, eating and diabetes habits along with every single average and max. heart rate, speed and cadence number for each individual interval. It's taken some getting used to but I do love seeing the spreadsheet when the week is all filled out.

So I'm getting used to it. I have to plan my week out ahead of time to make sure I have the time to fit the workouts in and make time for extra workouts when something comes up. Cuz shit inevitably always comes up. This means it could be morning or evening or both. Yup. I'm pulling double duty workout days. Why? Because I refuse to give up my running. Right now I'm trying to fit at least two 11km runs in a week and hopefully once my body adjusts to the intensity of the training I can get a long run in each week or at the very least every other week. Can you tell I don't do anything else with my time outside of work and exercise?

It has been FUN! I'm really enjoying learning new things and finding out just what I'm capable of. I love having access to a professional coach and I look forward to seeing myself get stronger and faster for a change thanks to that. Instead of the "one pace wonder", right Celine?

As for the Betes? it has surprisingly been behaving itself. It hasn't been easy though. I am basically winging it all the time. It depends on which workout I'm doing and when. And no two weeks are ever the same. Running was one thing but with high cadence trainer rides vs. spin class vs. tempo rides etc etc etc... there's really no two days that are alike. I'm constantly monitoring and re-adjusting from one temp basal rate to the next.

I can't wait to share more. Well, except for the one big thing that has been plaguing me. I have learned lately that running was the only thing that keeps me "regular". Now without the constant running... well, there's less things moving. TMI maybe but c'mon, it's ME you're talking about. Clearly, nothing is really TMI for me.

3 comments:

  1. I think it has been an exceptionally long November, but holy wow! So many workouts!

    I'm jealous that you have a coach now. I sometimes think that I would workout more if I had someone to hold me accountable. So many different workouts for cycling too. I'm still trying to put speedwork and hill repeats into my running routines. If I ever manage that, I will try for something more than "making it through a ride".

    Cold weather = yuck. If you're in search of good deals for winter cycling gear, my BF swears by the Endura brand products from probikekit.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I need a nap after reading about everything you do.
    Great report!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exercising religiously is a great way of staying fit. No matter what i make sure i don't miss my daily gym. Call me obsessed but i feel the day i miss the gym i automatically look fat. Also i try to avoid sugar. I use a natural sweetener called Natvia in my cup of coffee.http://natvia.com/

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)