Friday, October 7, 2011

No D Day


No D Day was introduced by George over at Ninjabetic.

George says,


"No D-Day is a day when our online interactions avoid diabetes completely. Twitter, Blogs, Facebook, MySpace (lol), and anything else you can think of. Not a peep about that dumb disease. For one day. 


The goal is to talk about different parts of our lives. Our hobbies, loves, talents, whatever! Every person I have ever met from the DOC is awesome because of who they are, not because of the disease that brought us together. We are more than a disease!"

Last year I wrote about my love for camping.  Over the past year of blogging I've exposed myself on many levels.  You know all too well about my running and sports and pooping in the bush.  You can probably tell I'm a half-assed amateur photographer with a love of photographing people.  You know I draft and design for a living as an Architectural Technologist.  What can I write about that would be interesting enough to keep you awake and yet not something you already know?

So I've come up with something near and dear to me.

MY FAMILY!


Back row: Bro-in-law, Brother (with the sunglasses)
Front row: Me, Sister, Mum, Nephew, Niece, Dad

I don't have a large one and I have no grandparents left so I really only want to talk about my immediate family.  There are 5 of us.  3 kids.  My sister is 2.5 years older than me and my brother is 2.5 years younger than me.  That makes me a VERY middle child.  We are an oddball of a bunch and yet we are all very similar.  Mum and Sis are super short.  Dad, well he's just plain normal short.  I was the tallest in the family until my bro came along and sprouted up to almost 6feet.  We all have strikingly blue eyes (thanks mum 'n dad for that)

My dad was born in England and the reason I have UK citizenship.  He was a highly loved and adored high school math teacher for his entire career.  I should have been better at math but I'm just "okay".  He has an intense wealth of useless facts and jokes that we've heard a zillion times before and he's a Jeopardy super star.  You can always count on him to sing a song for just about everything on the planet.  He has a love for Harley Davidsons, newspapers, tea and toast.  You've read about how I got my running genes from him but his marathon days are long since over.

My mum was born here in Canada but her side of the family also came from England so we are Brit through and through.  She was some sort of high powered insurance company manager of which I still, to this day, don't understand the entirety of her career.  Since retiring, she's turned into this massive home renovating machine (and she's GOOD at it).   She is known as the "voice of reason" and the "knower of truths."  Very smart, very down to earth, very much a realist.  She likes porch swings and black belt Sudoku puzzles.  Oh and power tools.

My sister is the oldest so she knows the most.  We call her "Scully 1".  She and her husband have two kidlets of whom I talk about occasionally here.  She is one of the more patient Scullys in many ways I've noticed recently.  Perhaps because she had to deal with two younger siblings.  She wasn't always the most patient one.  I have to watch what I write here!  hee hee.  Lately it's hard to know what she likes as she has been a full-time mom which means nothing is about her (shame).  She DOES like Diet Coke though and is the only Scully that doesn't drink coffee.

My brother is the youngest.  Sometimes I feel sorry for him for having to grow up with two older sisters.  But then I remember how awesome his older sisters are and that thought quickly fades.  He works with my bro-in-law with petroleum and gas equipment.  He plays some mean guitar and can also longboard.  He's hard to nail down as he's always on the go.  He rides motorcycles too - another gene passed down from dad.

I LOVE my family in a super major way.  I'm thankful every day for them.  I appreciate having a family I get along with and trust.  I love that we can spend 24/7 together for an entire week while on vacation and never get sick of each other.  We are all very supportive and understanding and rarely go a weekend without hanging out to some degree.  When we are all in a room together though, it can get pretty rowdy.  The Scullys can be an obnoxiously loud bunch of fools but I wouldn't have it any other way.

To see a blogroll of the No D Day participants, go HERE.

7 comments:

  1. You are a lucky gal to have such a close family. This was a fun post to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! Your family sounds so awesome :D And I think it's great you all are close and get along (the older I get, the more a unique and special thing that is in life). Love the pictures. Cheers to a sweet and fun family, I'm glad you've got them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great! Family is what it's all about! Thank you so much for this post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Scully! Your family is BEAUTIFUL! I love the bonds you share, and hope my girls will grow up with the same sense of love for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was wonderful getting to know the Scullys...what a great bunch!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing - good post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love me a Scully! Any and all of them!!!! You have a great family Sculls.

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)