Thursday, October 6, 2011

en route home to a modest run

Wow.  Okay.  So I wrote this on Sunday.  Suddenly now I don't really feel like posting it because it is such old news.  However there is a bit of good news in there too so posting I will do.

If you remember where we left off in the returning home saga, I had caught the awful stomach bug that my family was so lovingly sharing on vacation.

-----------------------------------------------
The first day of driving home was AWFUL for me.

I woke up that morning to a head full of fog.  I had been taking Gravol all night to settle the nausea which left me feeling like my brain was completely disconnected from my body.  It was better than nausea though even if I couldn't string a sentence together or find my toothbrush.

Coffee was out of the question.  I had a few sips of plain black coffee and it tasted like some sort of inanimate thing that shouldn't be going in my mouth.  Damn.  Body was obviously still sick and coffee was a bad idea.  I stayed curled up under a blanket in the back seat of my parents SUV rolling around in and out of consciousness.  I slept on and off in between fits of nausea and discomfort.  Every once in awhile I'd feel good and get excited but it would never last long.  I didn't eat all day with the exception of a few handfuls of salty potato chips.  I sipped diet sodas all day.  By the evening we put up in a shitty motel (where else?) and I fell into another evening daze of Gravol and nausea and screaming in my sleep.  That stuff gives me messed up dreams even more messed up than the usual messed up.

Guess what though?  The morning of day 2 of driving I had coffee.  OH DELICIOUS COFFEE!!  I was happy.  If I am drinking coffee than ALL is well!  I finally started eating about half way through the day.  This was Saturday.  The following day was THE ONLY day I would have left to run the longest training run of 35k before the marathon.  Exactly 3 weeks out.  I had the rest of that Saturday to hydrate and eat during our drive home.  I had a feeling 35k wouldn't be in my future but that wasn't going to stop me from doing my best.

I know better to listen to my body.  I had just finished fighting a stomach bug.  I hadn't eaten in 2 days much less been able to hydrate much.  What's worse?  The weather for Sunday was calling for cold, damp, rainy and windy.  I stopped at my two drop spots to stash water and food along my long run route on my way home.  What is normally a pretty calm Lake Ontario was in a brown mucky fury.  The wind was INSANE and the waves were fierce.  Sunday morning I drove out to my starting spot.  There was literally nobody out.  I took one look at the lake-of-insane and immediately knew it wasn't happening there.  I didn't even have the patience to get out and snap a picture of the furious lake for you folks which I'm kind of bummed about.  I don't run at this spot during the colder months because of the cold wind coming off the lake but I didn't think it had come to that already in the season.  I didn't even get out of my car before heading for plan B.

I stopped at a grocery store to buy more water and bananas since I had already stashed some along that previous route but wasn't prepared to drive all that way to pick them up.  I was on a -70% temp basal for an hour already.  I didn't have any time to spare.  If I wasted too much time I would be fighting awful highs.  I needed to start running soon.

I went to my long time backup route.  The place where I normally do all my long runs in the winter months.  It's about an 8km out and back (total).  I think in the end this was a better decision anyway since I would always be close to my car and I didn't know how my body would react to the exercise.  I ran 20km.  Not even close to the 35 but to be honest I was aiming more for 30 instead.  My legs felt great and so did my lungs.  The weather however, begged to differ.  I avoided the rain until about 18km.  The wind picked up, the rain started and my tummy was a little indecisive as to what it wanted to do.  It felt extra cavernous even though I had a decent breakfast.  After a few days of not eating, I wasn't surprised.  I was getting mighty cold also.  I took that as a sign that 20km would be it.  I'm glad I stopped even though I felt I could have done more.  I just felt like I was starting the run on empty to begin with, if I pushed it, I would probably hurt myself.  It still took me forever to warm up after.  Many hours sitting on the couch wrapped up in blankets after a hot hot shower.

So...  3 weeks until the marathon.  HOLY SHIT!  My longest training run took me 32km and that feels like a LONG time ago.  I won't reach the 35 now that the taper begins.  There are just no more days!

Here we go folks.  Lots of thoughts to be had and shared over the next 3 weeks I'm sure.

3 comments:

  1. THREE WEEKS AWAY??????

    WOW!

    You're amazing. That's all there is to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris, I don't think that you have anything to worry about. You have put the time and effort into your training. Now is when the mental training takes part. Relax, enjoy the race for what it is and believe in yourself. Not only will it get you through the race, it will set you free. I have always belied in you. J

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter what, you've always been able to overcome. There is NO doubt in my mind you'll accomplish your goal..

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)