Saturday, September 3, 2011

Diabetes Art Day (late)


September 1st was the 2nd annual Diabetes Art Day.  You can find out more by going to the link. You can see last years submissions as well as this years.  D Art day is the brainchild of one Lee Ann who is a certified art therapist. (and diabetic and advocate and blogger and lizard lover...etc.).  Go to the D art day page and read the "about" link.

Last year was pretty amazing.  I quite enjoyed "creating" for the first time in many years.  I even come across that drawing from time to time and just smile.  

I am late to the game this year primarily because I just couldn't get my shit in gear in time to create and post for September 1st.  However, it's never too late to create.  I may have missed the crowd but I actually really dislike crowds anyway.

Before I show my work I would like to just preface this by saying that I know there are folks that won't agree with what I did.  Quite frankly, as I type this my fingers disagree as it really hurts.  It's almost bitter sweet though.  We endure pain a lot through the course of managing this disease.  It's not debilitating pain by any means but small stabs here and there every single day of our lives.    We stab to get blood, we stab to give insulin.   We have to get through our skin.  What's on the other side of that skin?  Blood.  Diabetes is a disease entirely centered around blood.  And art is about therapy and expression.  

So with that in mind, here is my "thing":


The red stuff?  It's not paint.

I had to photograph this as soon as I was done to maintain the colour.  I also taped it to the window so the sunlight coming through the page makes the red so much more vibrant.

5 comments:

  1. ... the word pain...is part of paint!

    we get the message!

    Art is allowed to mess with your emotions and your piece is really playing with them!

    very neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see a beautiful, tired, solitary person sitting in a chair. It's powerful - and lovely. Good for you for being you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Very powerful, knowing that the red is not paint! I'm now curious as to what it looks like now after it's dried.I bet it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see weary, exhaustion, beauty, perserverance, strength, and will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG this gave me chills!!! I agree with Reyna. Very nice, Scully!

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)