Monday, July 18, 2011

I think I earned some BG bragging rights!

Sometimes I'm convinced the only reason I go for these long runs is so I have something to blog about.  I have different adventures when I think about it.  I am more likely to take pictures of things and remember things.  Like the lady I saw rollerblading with a giant red parrot on her arm.

Or the sweaty bum mark I left on the bench where I stopped to test my BG!


Or like this chick in the 6-second video.  I passed her while quietly laughing.  I then intentionally stopped so I could take this video of her running past me.  I won't apologize, she really made me laugh almost out loud.  She had this pleated running skirt on and was literally prancing down the trail.  Her arms were flying out to the sides and she was only running on the balls of her feet.  Just funny!

video

I must have played this video 20 times since uploading it.  It just makes me GIGGLE!!

OR my favourite sign!

Saturday's run was really awesome.  Many glorious kilometres until it got oppressively hot.  I tried to start early but getting up at 6am on a Saturday morning is hard.  I took my time with coffee (real coffee) and breakfast.  In retrospect I probably should have been up and at 'em earlier to avoid the heat.

I actually had a fantastic day BG wise.  I had oatmeal for breakfast at 7am and bolused half for it.  It was at 7am that I also set my -75% TBR.  I started running about 8:15am and my BG was sitting at 9.6 mmol/l (173 mg/dl).  I was fine with that as I had leftover insulin from breakfast plus the beauty of slowly absorbing carbs from the oatmeal.  At 1 hour I was 5.1 mmol/l (92 mg/dl) at which point I had a package of Sport Beans.  At 1:45 I was at 5.0 mmol/l (90 mg/dl) and I had a GU gel.  I finished with an impressive 6.7 mmol/l (120 mg/dl) and had my TBR on my pump already bumped up to 145% for 3 hours.  Not too shabby if I do say so myself!  In fact, I think I own some bragging rights to express how I executed a perfect BG 2.5 hour LSD run!

I ROCKED THAT RUN PERFECTLY!  

It only took like 9 years.  Hey, July 19th is my diagnosis anniversary.

I did have the most horrible low later in the evening though.  One of the worst in what feels like years.  I literally felt like a fish out of water.  I was flopped on the couch barely able to move.  I was twitching and moaning and groaning.  I ate some carbs but it was one of those lows that get WAAY worse before they start to improve.  Sweat was pouring off me and my heart was racing.  I panicked wondering if I consumed enough carbs and what would happen if I passed out?  Nobody would know.  My phone was across the room and so was the kitchen.  I had nothing within reach and I couldn't move.    OBVIOUSLY it passed.  *phew*.  That one is going to stay with me for awhile.  It was so brutal that I went to sleep at 7pm (on a Saturday night) because I felt like I just had the shit beaten out of me.                            Those moments living alone terrify me.

Other than blood sugars though, the run was awesome.  I felt super strong with no real aches or pains.  Near the last 5km or so however, my foot was feeling pretty bad.  I must have really irritated my injury.  I gave it an extra long icing session immediately after the run and continued to ice it on and off for the rest of the day.  The end of the run was actually really difficult mostly due to the heat by that point in the run.  I even got stuck waiting for the lift bridge:


The only annoying thing about that was the fact that my car was literally right on the other side of the bridge.  SO CLOSE... yet so far away.  Sometimes when the bridge goes up for the gigantic boats you can easily be waiting there for 15 minutes.  This time was not the case, thankfully or I might have tried to swim across the canal.

The other most amazing thing?  No deathly thirst like last week!
I really appreciate all your comments on that post by the way but ONE comment stuck out for me.  Lindsay from Lindsay On The Go wrote about hydrating the day before.  So I tried it.  The evening before I made sure to drink lots and lots of water.  Sure enough it really worked!  I still drank a ton of water during my run but I wasn't dying of thirst like an undiagnosed diabetic.  I also wasn't covered in grainy salt after.  And as further reassurance that I did the right thing, I was peeing frequently a couple hours after the run. Okay.  Advice taken!  Hydrate the day before!  Thanks Lindsay!

I still had some rather... erm... embarrassing emergency bush visits.  UG!  I made it precisely 1.11km (I looked at my Garmin when I had to suddenly STOP).  Yep.  1.11 whole km.  It happened again at 13km.  No warning what-so-ever!  Just... GET TO BUSH NOW!

Does anybody have some fantastic cure all tips to keep me from... soiling my pants?  I've tried everything.  Omitting hot liquids, No caffeine, drinking more water, cutting back on fibre....  nothing is helping.  It's really debilitating if you know what I mean.

Saturday's LSD Run:
Distance: 22.31km
Time: 2:31:13
Avg. Pace: 6:46 min/km
Avg. HR: 169 bpm
Calories burned: 1563

I had this idea to get a before and after picture and half of it worked.  I mean, I got a before picture but the after picture was totally out of focus and I didn't notice it until I got it home and onto my computer. Oh well.  INSTEAD though:


Before, sporting my Tummietote though you can't really see it because my shorts are black.  I was not making a bummer face, or at least that wasn't the intention.  (?)


AFTER!
In order to drive home I needed a dry change of clothes.  I thought my Beta Buddies T-Shirt was appropriate!

8 comments:

  1. Oh yes, hydrating the day before is the way to go. I sip eload all day too during the humid months to keep the electrolytes topped up too.

    Congrats on the great BG run - that's awesome! So is the sweaty bum mark :)

    That post run low sounds like it was pretty brutal. I hope that doesn't happen again.

    And finally, happy diaversary tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on the blood sugars throughout your run! That's awesome. As well, happy early diaversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear I read the ENTIRE post but I'm stuck without knowing what to say except two things: shame on you making me chuckle at that innocent girl in the video (LOL) and I wish I had your body. There, I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Sounds like a great run, and I'm glad my hydration advice helped! :) That video makes me giggle. Speaking of running skirts, have you seen the cover of this month's issue of Runner's World? It makes me giggle too. I know some people like that stuff, but I would not be caught dead wearing that.

    I live alone too, and I've had those lows where I wonder "what if"... Scary.

    I always feel weird wishing someone a happy diaversary because I wouldn't wish diabetes on anyone, but I hope you get to do something nice for yourself tomorrow to congratulate yourself for making it through 9 years with diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the great BG numbers, and how tiny is your butt print?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice!
    And good for you for not bringing attention to your giggling self and for getting that video! HILARIOUS!
    Oh, and LOVE the bum print...totally picture worthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had perfect blood sugars too for my run yesterday and was so totally stoked about it, mind you, it was only 13 km, but whatever. I didn't even start high, which I normally purposely do b/c I'm totally paranoid of mid-run lows, I started perfect and didn't over react and sure enough an hour and 20 minutes later, still perfect!
    AND I too saw a chick running on the balls of her feet yesterday, a common site really, but the way she was running, it really did not look comfy at all - super stiff!
    Glad you had such a great run ... can you please pass some of your sun our way. Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you took a pic of your booty print, it shows what an awesome workout you were getting for sure!!!


    Yay "real" coffee!!! I seriously had dreams about coffee last night, I. AM. OBSESSSED. :D

    Great pics, go Beta Buddies!!! The hydrate the day before is good advice, I'm going to try to remember that.

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)