Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I'm tired...

... of being tired.  :(

I've been having trouble sleeping for months now.  I have never been a fantastic sleeper.  I can't sleep when there's sound nor can I sleep when there's light.  I can't sleep when it's really cold or when it's really hot.  I am a light sleeper and a mouse fart would wake me up.

That's the regular troubles though.  Add to that the past few months of new problems and I've been set up for disaster.  I don't know for sure but the bigger problems started around the same time I switched my anti-depressant medications.  I get really fidgety and toss around a lot.  I wake up in the middle of the night WIDE awake and wander around the house unable to get back to sleep.  This happens multiple times every single night.

I nod off all day at work, something I like to call "asleep at the mouse".  I often start to feel sick and nauseous from being completely tired. I struggle on the almost hour long drive home.  After my workouts (whatever they may be) I perk up at night thus resulting in trouble falling asleep.




Wash, Rinse, Repeat.  Days, weeks, months.

Throw in a 12 hour power sleep once every couple months and I've got problems.

I am sleepy ALL the time it seems.  I don't know how to fix this other than resorting to cold medications to knock me out like NyQuil.  I am not a big fan of taking something like that because I don't want to be out cold so much that I can't detect a low blood sugar in the middle of the night.  At the same time, these restless nights are making my blood sugar a bitch to control during the night.  The stress of not sleeping causes them to rise.

The two evils of diabetes.

I suppose the question to be asked is "what keeps me up?"
The answer?                           my brain usually.  

I am thinking about life a lot when I wake up and can't sleep.  I don't know how to turn it off.  This is the primary reason why I haven't tried to seek out other routes.  I feel like it should be something I can control.  Even though I can't.

I don't consume a lot of caffeine because it wrecks my stomach.  So I drink a bit of decaf coffee in the morning and have been doing that for many months.  Lately I have been having tea during the day in an effort to just keep my head up at my desk at work.  I don't like relying on caffeine because of the adverse effects it has on my body but I feel like I don't know what else to do.

I don't know if my answer is out there.    Suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. Would it be possible to do your workouts in the morning and go to bed earlier? And do you sleep with a facemask and/or earplugs?

    My thinking is that if you work out in the morning, you'll be perked up for work. After that, go home, be sleepy, go to bed earlier? Not that it's a cure all....

    Another suggestion would be to try melatonin. I don't know if you need a prescription or if you can find it in the supplements section. It's a compound that is found naturally in the body and helps to control the body's sleep patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if it really works, but lavender is supposed to be very relaxing/calming and help you sleep. Maybe a warm bath with lavender oils or bath salts? A lavender reed diffuser by your bed? I feel the same way about not taking anything that could interrupt my ability to wake myself out of a low....scary! Good luck Scully, hope you get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh like the changing your workout time and the relaxing bath and super regimented sleep time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oy...working out later keeps me awake. Can you work out before work? AND...make sure to keep your bed/room only for sleeping. I think you do that anyway. As I recall, you don't watch TV.

    Good luck Sculls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Change the time of day you take the antidep meds by 12 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This list of 33 tips helped me a lot (I tend to go through random bouts of insomnia)

    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/02/secrets-to-a-good-night-sleep.aspx

    Good luck, I know it's really exhausting to go about like this :( You seem like a deep ponderer type to me-which is fabulous but probably has something to do with the difficult sleeping thing, I dunno. Hope you catch more zzz's soon!

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)