Thursday, June 30, 2011

Doctor says, "Go Wild"

I have doctor's orders to do as much exercising as I possibly can in one week!

I'm not kidding!  read ahead...

I've had a lot of pain in my right foot for months.  It started at the beginning of March.  I tried self-diagnosing because that's just the easy way around things thanks to Google (and lack of medical benefits at the time).  I thought it was Plantar Fasciitis.  Y'know because I'm a runner.  Plus, everybody I talked to who have experienced PF also thought it was PF.

The "Nubby Ball"
I used the frozen water bottle and bought what I like to call "my nubby ball".  The nubby ball I got from a running store. (Thank you Tara for the idea)  It feels really good to roll my sore foot on the ball.  I was stretching and icing and nubby balling it for a long time but no relief was found.

The pain is in the middle to front of my arch.  PF is typically in the heel part.

I started going to a sports specific chiropractor recommended by the very experienced Celine! (thank you for the magic doctor recommendation)

He's been working on my foot for a few weeks now and has determined it is not Plantar Fasciitis.  It is an injury I probably sustained back in March when I was still running in the snow a lot.  PF is usually an overuse injury that occurs with adding too many miles or too much intensity to your running program too fast.  PF often comes on slowly.  My pain was overnight.  So it seems I likely injured it slipping in the snow.  It was probably something that happened so fast and was so subtle that I didn't feel it when it happened.

So I have injured a muscle in my foot in both the "long" and "short" directions.  Basically meaning that it hurts to curl my toes under AS WELL AS pulling my toes back.  I'm sorry I don't know the "lingo"!

I am SO glad I went to have it looked at knowing now that no matter now much nubby ball rolling I did wasn't really going to alleviate the pain.

This is the first ever running injury I've ever had.  First ever sports injury really.  Aside from that time I sprained my ankle because I was running with my stupid slightly less intelligent dog and he freaked out and tripped me.  That was different though.

So Doctor's orders are for the next week I am to do as much crazy shit as I can.  See if I can aggravate it some more.  I LOVE THIS script!  Yes please!

You challenge me to do as much as I can?  Hell yeah, I'm going to take it to the next level.  The only thing I'm missing is more hours in the day.

5 comments:

  1. Ouch! Glad you got it looked at. Hope the "go wild" workout loosens up those muscles and makes it feel better. Perhaps you can beg a friend for a foot rub too. :) Best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got a proper diagnosis! And can I just say...you are HARDCORE. You need more hours in the day? lol! Will you be my personal trainer? :)~ I hope you feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you found out what was really going on and that your current course of treatment is doing what you love to do!! Hope your crazy week of insane exercise does the trick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. DUDE, You are one CrAzY-Ass athlete!!! :)

    That is great news....I think. What is the treatment? And...my foot is getting worse. I started trying to play a little b-ball with Joe.

    Gonna call the MD. Love ya! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg I think I live your doc. Lol. Have fun. Glad you got a diagnosis and have a fix in the works

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)