Thursday, May 19, 2011

Guess you can't win 'em all...

I left work early today.

Why?

So I could make it to spin class!  Shhhh.....  don't tell my boss.
I can't make it to spin class on Wednesday nights any more because I can't make it to the gym in time since I commute a fair distance away.  If you know anything about me, you know how insanely in love with spin class I am.  The office didn't ask why I needed to leave early which was fine with me, I didn't even have to come up with an excuse!

On my way to the gym I had a granola bar and gave a small bolus for it.  I also had high blood sugar.  I set my TBR down as per usual.  Well, after my regular workout of weights and abs and other junk I usually hop on the elliptical until class starts.  With half an hour to class that F'ing BG of mine started falling fast.  I tested and determined I was.. well.. fucked.  Fucked if I do, fucked if I don't.

See, I had two options.

Leave the gym sans spin class and probably deal with highs later (from not getting the planned exercise in).  OR, eat something, get the BGs up quickly and go to spin class and get frustrated at burning the calories I just had to consume.

NATURALLY, I chose option 'B'.  I ate a Lara bar and went to class.  Except that the Lara bar was NOT sitting well.  I tried drinking water but that only made it worse.  It was now sloshing around in my belly.  I was no longer feeling well.  By the third set in the class I got the dizzy nauseous spins.  I promptly left the class in the middle of the set, packed my bag and went home.  A few of the regulars know I have diabetes and were very caring making sure I was going to be OK alone.  That made me feel good.

As soon as I got to my car I took a 2-unit bolus and set my pump for 140% for the next 4 hours.  It's times like this I am grateful for the knowledge I possess about diabetes and exercise.  I did these two actions without barely blinking an eye.  I just instinctively knew.

SIGH.  This is what I mean by "fucked if you do, fucked if you don't".  I would have been screwed if I left before spin dealing with raging highs and today, unlike other days, I was screwed going TO class.  Most of the time my bars sit fine but today was not such a day.  Maybe it was the flavour of the Lara bar?

The nausea has been with me all evening.  What pisses me off the most?  I was JUST telling someone two days ago how I haven't dealt with persistent nausea in MONTHS since going gluten-free.  I was afraid that if I mentioned it, my streak would be over.  What is with that?!

Diet Ginger Ale and no food for me.  I should be good as new by tomorrow.

I wonder if this is my punishment for playing "hookey" and leaving work early?!  Even though I worked through lunch to make up for it.

3 comments:

  1. LOL...nahh girl, if karma worked this way, we all would be millionaires for having diabetes. That's how I like to think of it, hehe. Anyway, I totally hear you. I knock on wood all time. oh and you know what? I can't exercise after a lara bar, I get a stomach ache with it everytime-wierd? Hope you awoke good as new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man...sorry to hear this Scully. It is just through reading your blog and another PWDs (cannot for the life of me remember who it is) do I realize the annoyingness of working out and having to consume "extra" calories to do so. That would really, really, really piss me off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exercising at such high intensity always screws me over. I have found for myself, lower intensity things for a longer time span is just easier for me to deal with. I always feel this way. Grrrrr....damn diabetes

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)