Monday, May 9, 2011

Diabetes Blog Week ::: Admiring Our Differences

The first post of Diabetes Blog week.

To read more about the mastermind behind this please go to Karen's blog at Bitter-Sweet Diabetes and find out all about the topics, the participants and more. Or you can click the button over....... -----> There.
Today in a sentence: Pick a type of blogger who is different from you and tell us why they inspire you - why you admire them - why it's great that we are all the same but different.

Okay. I'm a type 1 adult diagnosed blogger. So I guess that puts me in a certain category. I don't know what it's like to grow up with diabetes. I don't know what it's like to be a parent to a child with diabetes. Both of those situations are where I can learn a lot. The bloggers that inspire me the most? More than anything else out there? The D-parents.

I could go into great detail about why D-parents are the most amazing people on the planet but its written on every blog out there. Managing a 24/7/365 chronic disease in myself is a pretty major feat I've come to learn. Managing it in a young child's body? An entirely different sick animal. 

Those D-parents give someone like me an entirely different view on it. I am so much more grateful for being diagnosed at an age where none of the responsibilities fell on my parents. None of the responsibilities but all of the worry but that is different. Diabetes, type 1, is a BURDEN. Simply put. There's no sugar coating this humongous fact. It's a burden I deal with and I manage all by myself. To imagine putting that on my parents breaks my heart. So for all the D-parents out there, I don't have any clue what it's like and I really respect all you do. You are super humans. 

And yet beneath it all, we are all still rowing in the same boat and speaking the same language. A saying comes to mind that sums it all up quite nicely;

SAME SHIT - DIFFERENT PILE

What? You thought it would be something insightful? Whose blog do you think you're reading?

Seriously, it's true. It's all still insulin, injections, pumps and hypos. Just from different angles and perspectives. There is always something to learn.

14 comments:

  1. lol I like how you summed it up! Thank you for the kind words about parents. It's been an inspiring morning so far. I hope you know that sharing the stories of your pile helps me a great deal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! (The post, not the diabetes...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...right back at ya sistah! It is the PWDs that I love reading. Your insight helps me parent a type 1 kiddo. Thank you.

    And...

    Love that "Different Pile" bit, you are GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have such a great respect for you too Scully. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup.

    Different pile ;)

    HA HA HA HA!

    You know what, though? It's because peeps like you are willing to share that I feel as if I can conquer this beast. Prior to the DOC, I didn't know if I was doing an okay job or not ... all those highs and lows and UGH. After finding blogs like this one, I've come to realize that it's not me. It's the effing disease.

    ROCK ON WONDER GIRL! I love your running escapades :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. same shit, different pile. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL love this. SO true, I like the way you put it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. VERY insightful! I love it, and you showcase exactly why PWD Blogs inspire me every day! You say it how you see it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha,that quote is so true. And D-parents rock.(my mom helped me out until I "grew up" & got adept at handling it solo.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So perfect! Love the post, hate the pile! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So admire your creative spin! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And to those of us without D...YOU are a Super Human and an INSPIRATION. Non-D people need to count their lucky F-in stars.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)