Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Chocolate Low and Hungry Legs

This is a bit of a miss-match of ideas.  But when is my blog ever NOT a miss-match of ideas.  I prefer to call it "cut and paste blog"  similar to my sisters old cat who we used to call "cut and paste kitty" because she had a wee little head, short legs and a big middle.

After a 2 hour workout including an hour of extra intense spin class last night I was pretty spent.  I had a bad day of no appetite and some nausea (from my switch up of medications).  Needless to say I barely ate anything all day before going to the gym.  In fact at one point in the day I bolused for some food but then lost my appetite and in return had to treat a low with a whole bottle of orange juice.  I set my TBR down low and early but before spin class I still had a pretty major low while zipping around on the elliptical.  Once home I still didn't really eat anything substantial and I forgot to set my 85% TBR for overnight because I fell asleep on the couch and later it just slipped my mind.

Enter the chocolate low.
We have been drilled into our diabetic brains from day one: don't treat a low with chocolate.  Chocolate is full of fat and fat slows the carb absorption ergo not helping the hypo.  But I believe there is a time and place for every kind of low treatment.  I also believe that we can use this to our advantage.  Last night at 3am I felt restless.  I was tossing and turning the way I normally do when my body is trying to slap me out of slumber to tell me I'm going low.  Lately I haven't been sleeping well at all.  So when I stumbled to reach for my meter my reading was a decent 3.9 mmol/l (70 mg/dl).  Usually it's gotta get into the low 3's before I can successfully wake myself up.  At 3.9 I am barely feeling the low.  It's also got a long way to go before it crashes hardcore.  This is a wussy low and a slow moving one at that, I know it.  I used chocolate!  I had about 20g carbs of chocolate and pretty much went back to bed without a care in the world (and feeling nauseous as hell).  I used chocolate because of its slow release carbs.  I knew I would be safe because I caught the low early enough and it wasn't plummeting.

Another thing I get is "hungry legs".  When I do heavy cardio be it cycling or running or climbing stairs, it's all in the legs.  Blood sugar wise, I usually set 85% TBR overnight.  What I feel when I'm tossing and turning trying to wake myself out of sleep to treat a low is this feeling of empty in my legs.  In my half aware state of slumber I get these visions of hollow legs while I kick them around.  Especially last night because I was pretty much running on empty, with very little fuel in my body.  There's always a few minutes of semi-unconsciousness where I'm not sure what's going on.  I call that hungry legs because it feels like my legs are hollow, empty and need "filling".

Last night my hungry legs woke me up to a chocolate low.

3 comments:

  1. Hungry legs - I really like that. It's exactly what they are and a perfect way to explain it. Hope you don't mind but I'm going to plagiarize your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooooo, I think I missed that whole no-treating-lows-with-chocolate education. I treat EVERYTHING with chocolate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "After a 2 hour workout including an hour of extra intense spin class...

    HA HA HA HA HA...I can hardly drag my rump through 1 intense hour.

    Chocolate.

    I love chocolate!!!

    I'm pretty sure the cure is somewhere in the biological make up of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)