Saturday, April 30, 2011

5k Run for JDRF


I ran 5k in support of JDRF.
I don't have any pictures because I wasn't carrying anything on me.  Sorry folks! I did get a picture of the T-shirt at least!

It's exciting to run a race that has something to do with you.  To see so many runners wearing their JDRF race shirts almost gave me chills.  I felt hidden amongst all these people, some of them not having any idea what the race was benefiting.  Nobody knew I was secretly standing there diseased with diabetes and participating in this race.  It was like I was snooping or listening in or something.  Kinda felt like I didn't belong though I should have felt the opposite.

Naturally with events like this you're bound to hear something that upsets you.  Especially as a member of the DOC, we manage to find something wrong with every article, documentary, news snippit, TV ad.... etc. out there.  They had a stage where there was a woman belting out the most ear piercing obnoxious shrills.  That has nothing to do with this post, I just thought she was awful and inappropriate for what should have been a fun upbeat morning.  Then I overheard (I was far away) a little person talking through the speakers.  It was a child (I am still not certain if it was a boy or girl, I couldn't tell) reading from a piece of paper.  He/she was a CWD talking about life and blood sugar checks and the never-ending'ness that is diabetes.  It was cute, and I thought nothing of it.  Until a big stupid adult came on the stage.  I wasn't listening very hard but I couldn't help but catch "..... and by supporting JDRF you're helping so many children with diabetes........".   That's when I sort of hung my head and shook it a little.  *sigh*  Thanks stupid adult for making me feel like I don't matter.  Like I, a 31 year old type 1 diabetic adult, doesn't count as someone who benefits from JDRF research.    JDRF, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation seriously needs to change it's name, OR, more education is needed.  Forget the fact that Juvenile Diabetes can happen at any age (ie: me), what happens when the CWD grow up to become adults with diabetes?  It's like the common mindset is that it effects only children as well as once those children grow up, it get's forgotten.  As if they grow out of it or something.

So the race.  It was a beautiful sunny day and naturally I over-dressed.  I ended up leaving my gloves, toque and jacket in the car.  I wished I didn't wear my winter tights and thermal socks but I swear it was colder when I left my house!!  I did my usual oatmeal breakfast with a half-bolus.  I wasn't too concerned with my BG going low because it was a 5k which means about only 30 minutes of exercise.  I left everything in my car.  Everything.  All I had on me was a single car key and a GU gel.  Right before the start of the race I looked down and saw an 8.1 mmol/l (145 mg/dl) and an arrow pointing down.  Crap.  If the arrow wasn't there I wouldn't have done anything.  It had only been 1.5 hours since breakfast.  I downed the gel which left me with absolutely nothing!  I felt like a major D-rebel.  So off we went.  I've had a little bit of practice with a few speed runs in the past few weeks with the aid of my new Garmin and heart rate monitor.  I had an idea of what a good pace and heart rate for me would be without pushing my boundaries.  Well... I pushed my boundaries.  But I pushed them because I thought I could do better.  My avg speed was 5.59min/km, yeah point-five-nine ha, how irritating.  My avg heart rate was 190bpm!  Through all my training with the HRM I felt like 185bpm was my max.  In fact at one point, within the last 500m I was feeling really really awful like I was going to damage something and looked down and saw 197bpm.  Egad! I slowed off a bit to catch my breath.  When I crossed the finish line I felt like I might hurl.  I was almost seeing stars and I was really not feeling good.  A bit of pacing back and forth had me right as rain again.  I gave a unit of insulin when I finished and set my 130% TBR for 3.5 hours.  Blood sugars actually held steady for the next hour which means that GU gel was probably a good idea.

I've always wanted to be a faster runner.  I know it takes training, slow and steady (fast and steady?) training, I guess I just pushed myself too much.  Needless to say it was a good race even though I felt a little dumb for forcing that kind of action out of myself but I see so many other runners way faster than my fastest!  All in all, I think I finished with a 29.20'ish, I barely saw the clock while I ran past it trying to hold myself together.

I don't know how so many runners do it!!

10 comments:

  1. I know nothing about running. I get tired watching runners. BUT - sounds like you had a good run.
    Yeah, the child thing annoys me also, and I was over 50 when dx'd. Oh well. We know better and just have to keep reminding ourselves of that.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sympathize:
    - with the fact that I also got 'juvenile' diabetes as an adult (28 years old to be exact)
    - with the fact that it was hotter out today than it looked (I don't know how you didn't die in pants)
    - and with the fact that if I were to bust my butt to the point of nausea and heart rate insanity, I might break 30 minutes for a 5k....might

    I too have absolutely no idea how the fast guys do it. But congrats on your fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me bummed out. The feeling "left out" b/c of the focus on children. I definitely am sensitive to that b/c of the DOC. At our kick-off luncheon I was psyched to meet a 30 something PWD...diagnosed in her 20s...we talked and I encouraged her to get her type 1 friends involved and I talked about the shifting "focus" of JDRF. I am acutely aware...that sadly, b/c I don't think a CURE is close, that Joe will be an adult with type 1 someday. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome race! Maybe it would be a good idea to forward this post to Ford and JDRF? They might be delighted to learn that they can actually focus their efforts on a much larger section of the D-community :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally proud of you!

    Um...for the record....I did a 14 minute mile today. Thankyouverymuch ;)

    The "juvenile" gets to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another person who finds it difficult to link my diabetes with JDRF - diagnosed aged 49! If you go on their UK website it's all about children and it's clear that many people diagnosed as adults in the UK aren't even aware of it as a Type 1 specific charity.

    Well done on the run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. When diagnosed at 26 years old I just assumed the JDRF was only for children and didn't really pay much attention to it. I think a name change would be the best course of action, but I imagine the costs involved to make such a change would mean that there's very little chance this will ever happen. Which is a shame.

    Well done on the run though :-) I couldn't do it, I'm rubbish at running.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you, you're like a running machine! That's so awesome. Just remember I'm sure it took some time to get up to the level you're at in the longdistance running, ongoing practice on the shorter runs and you'll be wizzing by everyone else!
    Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome job on the run!

    And yes, for me too the "Juvenile" thing is bothersome...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always thought that if you don't at least "feel" like you're going to vom when you're finishing a 5K, then you haven't run it hard enough. So... Well done!

    And I was never a child with diabetes either, so the shenanigans around JDRF gets to me a little. I think next time they should invite you to stand up there in your running gear after the kid gets done being all cute and stuff to share a few words. "Hey, thanks for coming out to help find a cure for diabetes and to make the lives of people with diabetes -- children and adults -- a bit easier. And if you'll now excuse me, I have some ass to kick."

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)