Thursday, March 17, 2011

Slap Me Upside The Head

When a friend by the name of a utensil texted me and said "Is there anything I can do?"  My response was, "Slap me upside the head and ask me if I've learned my lesson."

We both agreed.
*SMACK*... ouch.  Did I learn my lesson?

I knew my reservoir in my pump was low.  I checked it this morning before I left for work.  I had JUST turned around to lock the front door when *beep... BEEP... beep* 20-unit Low Reservoir alarm.  I paused for a few seconds with my hand not moving from my key that was in the lock.  I looked back and forth (as one often does while pondering something).  I hesitated, locked the door and went to my car.  20 units of insulin should be enough to get me home on empty after the gym after work.  I clearly hadn't had my watered down decaf yet otherwise upon further calculations I would have known better.  I just kept thinking that by the time work finishes I will have set a low temp basal for the gym anyway.

*NAAAHT*

Post lunch BG check left me with a serious high.  This unfortunately and (unplanned) left me with a big correction bolus.  Which in turn left me with - nada drop in my pump.  I don't know when the river ran dry but I noticed it at 4:00pm.  One more hour of work and then an hour home.  2-3 hours without insulin.

Never mind the gym, I said to myself.  I'm likely going to be battling some blood wars tonight.  I did think about zipping out to the gym after I did a site change but after really thinking about it, I decided it would be better to baby my diabetes than cause unknown factors that might further fluctuate rampant blood sugars.  I was pissed off at myself for being so irresponsible but at the same time my legs are still sore from the previous night's weekly stair episode.

Did I learn my lesson?  Um... to be honest, probably not.  I don't carry spare parts with me and I don't really intend to.  I often store an extra set at work especially when I commute an hour but I haven't been at this job long and well, I haven't really thought of doing that yet.  I'm not new to letting my pump run almost totally dry either I will admit. I regularly wait till I've already got the 10 unit low reservoir alarm.  I am a baaaahd diabetic.  I don't run my sites the regular 3 days, I run them 'till the reservoir is cooked.  Sometimes up to 5 or 6 days depending on how much insulin I'm using.  Go ahead, ream me a new one.  I can't say I'll listen.

Did I learn ANYTHING?  well yeah, next time I hesitate before leaving the house I'm going to do the math before jumping to conclusions.  THEN I'm going to go back in and either grab things for a site change or do one right there.  So what if I'm 5 minutes late for work.  It's better than trucking home on empty.

My actions after inserting a new site were justified.  I was aggressive and rage bolused down the high I was already at and then set a TBR of %150 for the following 5 hours.  That caught me up to speed with barely a blimp in the radar.  Yeah I just said blimp instead of blip because when it comes to diabetes, a blimp in the radar makes so much sense, don't you think?   So I refrained from carby food and tried to be patient.  All was well.  I woke up rather high this morning but if I expected perfection, I wouldn't be a diabetic.

The biggest bummer? I was looking forward to the gym (even though my legs were relieved).

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I've had those days! I don't carry extra supplies either, and for the last few years, my pump didn't alert me until I was left with 5 units (now it alerts me at 10). The best is when your reservoir is running low at night, you turn off the alarm and fall back to sleep, then get up and bolus, and then go to work. OR forgetting you have a small amount left, bolusing for something, and then later realizing you bolused for more than you had and you're not quite sure what amount of insulin is actually IN your body.

    Good times! Sounds like you were patient though. I know stuff like that can get me pretty bummed, even if it's my fault...it's just another reminder of being diabetic, which I don't really want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, this reminds me of Joe's and my morning yesterday. I bolus him for breakfast...dun..nah...nuh...nah...nuh (the Animas..."low cartridge alarm sound"). Joe has 10 units left. This should not be a problem, but...I though, what if he is high at school...blah...blah...blah. I changed it, for selfish reasons. I needed to paint the bathroom and didn't want to get called into school. haha.

    Glad it worked out Scully, but sorry about missing your workout. I would have been pissed. AND...somehow I think if I had diabetes I would be the same type of diabetes person as you...BAD ASS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate the "do I have enough" math. I was the Princess of Oblivious the other day, got the low cartridge alarm at 2am, forgot about it, went to check the time on my pump midmorning (not wearing a watch) and saw "1 unit remaining." FRAK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine sang last night with the 10 unit warning. I was due for a change in the morning, so I slept.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may be bad, but you're AWESOME BAD! Sorry I've been MIA -- life is still KICKING MY ARSE...I just wanna hang with my computer pals for awhile and catch up :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)