Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Race Season Begins

I fully intended to post this yesterday but my lazy ass kept forgetting to grab my camera out of the trunk of my car.  I hate posting without pictures, it bugs me.


Despite missing my long run the weekend prior to the half-marathon as well as being out of commission due to abdominal issues, I still ran it.  I forced myself to the gym on Thursday with my body saying "no".  I went on the elliptical for an hour at an easy steady pace.  I knew I had to do something a couple days before the race. Come Saturday I was feeling really confident.  Comfortable that my body was going to behave.

Registering for some of these races is pretty expensive.  This last one I paid a wicked amount for.  It's hard to not try and get your moneys worth.  But for the cost of the race, the kits were totally a let down.  They are getting cheaper and cheaper too and the shirts are really cheap looking.  I guess that’s the way life goes though; you get way less for way more money these days.   I was pretty disappointed in this race as far as what was available and offered to the runners.

Let’s see, another race, another story.
I began this race with a bit of uneasiness since I wasn’t sure how well I would be feeling after the hospital incident.  It was dang cold and we got a whole whack of rain turned freezing rain turned snow over night.  Waiting in the herd (*see below) I couldn’t feel my toes.  My socks and shoes were already soaked and frozen from standing in snow and slush.  I got the painful tinglies in my toes at about 4km indicating that they were in fact defrosting a bit from body heat.  Most of the race was uneventful.  I had two runners that nearly left me flat on my ass while they cut me off rudely.  At one of the water stations I got a cup full of .... solid ice (e-load).  Good job to the volunteers for checking that the stuff was still liquid.  That was useless and pissed me off because I had already passed the cup hander-outers and I was darn thirsty.
 
There were a lot of chunks of ice on the road as well as dealing with all the slush and melted snow.  There was no keeping dry feets.  Which did a wonderful job at leaving me with some soggy sock blisters.  They were undesirable road conditions for sure.  They don't call it the "Chilly Half" for nothing!

I hooked up a fresh sensor the day before to try to see if I can monitor myself better.  I am ecstatic to report that I didn’t check my blood sugar once!  I am often checking every 30 minutes.  When it’s cold and I’m dealing with snotty mittens and cold fingers it sucks.  I was running on the low side the whole morning leading up to it and had consumed quite the many carbs pre-race.  I had a feeling my BG was going to spike and I would be uncomfortably high all race long.  I am happy to say that I watched the graph and it was a beautiful slow swelling sea within range for the whole time.  I felt like a winner in the diabetes game at least. I was glad I had a working sensor.

What bugged me?
It bugs me when they set up the water stations without water.  The first station had water.  The entire REST of the stations had e-Load (like Gatorade but not as pungent).  I don’t know about a lot of people but I work hard to manage my blood sugar and I don’t count on carb drinks along the way in my planning.  I really wonder how many people would probably prefer just water?  Those gross drinks give me pasties and make me MORE thirsty.  I mean, have a dedicated water station or a dedicated e-load station.  OR always have the option of water!  And furthermore, if you’re going to be handing out water, put it in a non-descript cup instead of putting everything in a cup with an e-load logo on it.  It just confuses me when I NEED water and NOT e-load.  I like running races because they have water stations and I don’t have to haul bottles with me.  This makes it sort of pointless and it quite upset me.

All in all – it was a good race.  I shaved time off and ran it faster than my last half-marathon.  The last couple kms were brutally difficult.  I was really proud of myself when I noticed I was running in front of the 2:15 pace bunny for almost the entire race!  They passed me in the last couple kms and I just couldn’t catch up.

I proudly finished with a surprising 2:15 chip time.  Given the factors involved, I'm thrilled.

No diabetes emergencies, no bathroom emergencies (THANK YOU BODY!) and no failing.  I’m happy about it.  Next hurdle?  Around the Bay in less than 3 weeks.  Eeek.  Now THAT’S going to be a 30km race from hell post I’m looking forward to writing about. 

*HERD:  I use that word to describe what it feels like before the race starts.  Me and thousands of other people lined up on the street.  Gates lining each side.  Everybody jittery and anxious to start.  Tons of spectators lining the other side of the gates.  The gun goes off and we are all eagerly funnelled through the start trying not to push and shove and trip.  I always feel like a cow.  Sometimes I "MOO" while I'm waiting.  ERGO, the "herd".  

2 comments:

  1. First of all, way to go! Secondly, gatorade in place of water at those stations? ah come on! And thirdly, the herd...the mooing...is just TOO funny, I just spewed peppermint tea out of my nose and now there is this fun tingling sensation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great finish time - especially considering all the other factors! sorry the "swag" wasn't great - sometimes you luck out, sometimes you get stuck with crap you'll never wear or use, but the icy conditions of the course and the no water thing would truly piss me off too. great job on overcoming all that!

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)