Monday, March 21, 2011

1 Week 'til Race Day and Geese Poo Facts

ONE week.
One week till I find out if all my hard work over the winter months was worth it.

Next Sunday is the Hamilton Around the Bay 30km Road Race.  It will be the longest I've ever run either on my own or in a race. I am not afraid that I won't make it, I'm just afraid of the "getting there" part.  I mean, long distance races are like life.  "It's not about the destination, it's about the adventure".  On second thought it IS about the destination.  It's about the finish line.  It's going to be a tough race.

Well, I can at least try reciting that to myself as I wish for the finish line.  I'm as ready as I'm going to be and the best part about this week?  It's pretty much a take-it-easy kind of week.  I can deal with that.

Today's run;  I know it's a running faux pas to do a long run within a week of race day.  I like to bend rules though, and not everybody is made equal.  I ran 24km.

I have been dealing all week with super constant high blood sugars.  So this morning I set my TBR not as low and took a bit more insulin with breakfast than I normally would before a long run.  I was expecting another day of highs, just like the past 7 f'n days of highs.  Oh but what d'ya know?  Today is not like the past 7.  Go fucking figure.  So I had to consume more carbs before heading out.

<---  waiting in the sunlight (when it was ACTUALLY warm'ish) in my backyard for my BG's to be a bit more steady  in hopes of not destroying my run.


The weather was supposed (SUPPOSED) to be warm and mostly sunny.  Like 7 degrees warm!  All morning it was sunny.  I dressed for 7 degrees and mostly sunny.  For the first time all winter I left sans toque! (that's without "warm hat" for you non Canadians who don't know any french hee hee).  Again, what d'ya know?  I arrive at my running spot and its cloudy, cold and windy.  Mother........cker!!  Everything went alright though. Yes I was just a bit chilly for most of it so I was less likely to stop for anything except to check BG and fill water bottle.

My one leg is REALLY achy (it's now Sunday night) and I'm shuffling around the house a bit.  It's the same leg that hurt after last weeks long run.  Like I pulled my calf muscle or something.  More than that though, I had very cooperative blood sugars.  The best part about figuring out blood sugar management?  less testing.  I am testing about once an hour now (during my runs) which makes me feel less like a diabetic and more like a plain ol' runner.  Gaining BG confidence with each and every run.  Meaning - I'm getting good at mimicking that snot-nosed temperamental organ.

For some shits (HAHA) and giggles.  This sign is totally new to me and I've never seen it at the lake before so I had to take a picture of it and share it.  Yeah, Canadian Geese can be a big shit problem around here especially in the summer.  I just couldn't get over that little FACT on the sign.  In case you cant read it:

"Did you know....?  1 Canada Goose can poop up to 60 times per day!."

No, no I did not know that.  Thanks for the lesson City of Hamilton.




Any way.... Since this is pre-race week and I've really got a lot on my mind, I've written a bunch of running and fueling related posts I'd like to share.  Hope you tune in and more important than that - I'd love any advice!!

7 comments:

  1. Hey Scully! Good luck with the RACE - so awesome that you are doing it! I can barely drag my ass out for a 5km! lol and as a LOVEr of the Canada Goose (shit and all...) I enjoyed learning about their capacity for pooping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your race!! You'll kick ass! I'm fairly impressed that a Canadian goose shits 60 times a day, that's well...a lot... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you - with the blood sugar management. It does make things easier when we figure out what our body is doing eh? My goal is to only have to check my sugar twice next Sunday and to finish with a BG between 7-10. We'll see how that goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No advice, just have a great run.
    Love the sign!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've given up on running so many times because of morning sugar levels - so i'm totally in awe of your running and have fun with the race!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great race! You'll do just fine, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahahahaa! I love the poop facts ... and my office did too! Thanks. What would a race be without the jitters right, you'll do great, and I can't wait to hear all about it. Love the picture of you, been there myself so many times :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)