Sunday, January 16, 2011

Next time, inside video games.

I haven't been out running in nearly 3 weeks.
Between a week and a half of feeling ill plus emotional turmoil and disappointing depressing life,I just haven't been out.  I've gone to a few spin classes plus the workout I get from shoveling the driveway.  Not to mention the Quinzee day which just ruined me.  But I haven't been out running.

Saturday mornings are usually the allocated time I run with my running buddy.  It's when we get our long runs in.  Well after the week I just had, when he asked me how far I want to run I said "torture me."  I am full of things I just need to leave on the road via my shoes.

Torture is exactly what we got.  Gale force winds in a blizzard-like setting.  Wonderful.  The first half wasn't too bad.  It's always the way back that really sucks snot rockets.  So much wasted energy running in snow.  Had the winds not been so evil we probably would have had a lovely winter wonderland jog.  Being pelted with snow moving fast enough to feel like bits of glass in your face, well I could have done without that.  But we are idiots and we both admitted to our stubbornness resulting in the idiot factor.


This was the "after" picture.  It wasn't much different from the "before" picture except we have frozen eyebrows.

Next time, when there's a blizzard, no fucking running 14km in it.  That's it.  This winter running stuff is really starting to discourage me.  I don't think I would've gone out in that had I not committed to it.  It's tough stuff.  I felt happy to have run but I won't deny that it was pretty miserable.


There were snow-cicles on the ends of my laces!  They kept flipping around and hitting my shoes.  I could feel them while I ran they were really heavy.  I had very cold wet feets.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE snow and playing in it but running - well that's a different story.

The only thing that played nice?  my BGs for a change.  Morning workouts have left me stumped at managing my blood sugar but today I think I figured out how.  I couldn't sleep and woke up at 4:30am.  I had my coffee nice and early.  Early enough to have time to even eat breakfast and drink a whole load of water.  I normally can't do all of that in a short period of time.  I felt great.  Blood sugar stayed between 5 and 8.  A new record for me.  Moral of the story?  insomnia helps.

5 comments:

  1. Love the picture!!!! The icicles are hilarious :)
    Congrats on the awesome numbers throughout that madness!!!! I'm completely amazed at your dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to remember this post the next time I start to complain about running or walking in 40-degree temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Running in the SNOW??!? You are mad crazy obsessed dedicated to your running!

    And I lol'd about the "snot rockets" :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scully,

    YOU.ARE.A.ROCK.STAR!

    Have you tried Yaktrax while running on the snowy, icy roads and sidewalks? I have been using them lately and LOVE them. I feel like I am running in 4 wheel drive. I don't slip and slide quite so much. My sister is an ultra marathoner and she recommended them to me.

    Congrats on the numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Reyna, you mentioned those to me before. I am thinking of investing in a pair now.

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)