Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Blame What? Nothing?


The past month or so I've noticed an interesting change in my body.  Naturally the first thing I question is, "Is diabetes doing this?"  There's no way around it.  Diabetes is a complicated disease and the first place I go when something seems awry.

That goes for the bad and what may "seem" to be good.

So my "problem?"  I'm sort of embarrassed to say because I don't want to seem like a gloating chuffnut but not all good things are good.   I've been loosing weight in an unintentional way.  My eating habits haven't really changed, nor have my exercise habits (with the exception of nearly 2 weeks off due to illness).  I have never been able to loose weight with the diet and exercise that I've been keeping up for the past couple years.  In fact even though I stay on top of my health I always seem to gain weight and not loose it.  So for me to suddenly start loosing weight without even trying - that instantly makes me question the higher powers that be.  Diabetes et al.

So I'm trying here to pick away at possible causes.  High levels of stress and anxiety? possibly but those levels haven't changed much since this started happening.  Diabetes management?  I have gotten it under better control which means I should be putting on a bit of weight and not the other way.  If I was running consistently high I would surely attribute it to that.  But I'm not.

I have been gluten-free for almost 6 months.  If it's Celiac, typically before treatment patients loose weight unintentionally because of mal-absorption of nutrients.  So in my case though I was not given a positive Celiac diagnosis once going to a gluten-free diet I would assume one would gain weight.  So that doesn't match either.

I was up most of the night on the verge of tears at the thought of how all-consuming diabetes is in combination with all the other diseases that are common with type 1.  The diagnosis of type 1 is often not where it ends.  Later in life is when others rear their fat ugly heads.  Sure maybe this is something fluke, but maybe not.  I live in my own body and I've never experienced something like this before without a major change to my lifestyle of which there hasn't been any for ages now.  Diabetes is not just a disease that we manage non chalantly.  It's a disease that forces us to precariously balance on a tightrope afraid to fall into a hot lava pit of complications and other diseases.  It comes with a plethora of ugly complications.  It also comes with other unwanted bullies.  The whole auto-immune disease causes this.  With one comes others.  With an already compromised immune system it's not uncommon for diabetics to suffer with other auto-immune disorders.  I know thyroiditis and celiac are very common in those with Type 1 diabetes.  And those are just the auto immune disorders.  Never mind the high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression...... the list is sickly long.

This led me to do a bit of research on Hyperthyroidism which is an over activity of the thyroid.  One of the symptoms is unexplained weight loss.  Naturally laying awake at night wondering why I'm loosing weight that is the first place I go.  "What could cause this that is common with diabetes?"  I am not crying wolf or jumping the gun, I'm just putting it out there because I am concerned about these unexplained body changes.  Sure I am loving feeling thin for no reason but I can't help but think there's GOT to be an explanation.

I am just..... confused.  It could easily just go back to normal and part of me feels that if I write this, things will just revert.  Like when something isn't working and you try again and again to fix it.  Only to call someone over for help and magically the problem is gone.

I don't know.  Listen to me ramble.

5 comments:

  1. First thing I thought of when I began reading your post was Hyperthyroidism. Are you feeling "warmer" than usual? More hungry? Are your eyes starting to look bulgy? Other s/s of it. How much weight are we talking here? OK...sorry, the nurse in me comes right on out...lol.

    I hope it is just as easy as you are getting thinner...hope it isn't yet another medical issue.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reyna - I think I have other symptoms mentioned but its hard to really know. I have been more warm than usual. Always waking up covered in sweat. Sometimes wandering around the house feeling totally normal before looking at the thermostat and it says 60. my anxieties have always run high and I am used to having trouble sleeping. therefore I don't think I can point my finger at anything that hasn't already been there for a long time. I am more hungry on and off but nothing consistent. I don't have a scale so I'm not sure how much weight I've lost. I know that in the past 3 weeks or so I've dropped maybe 1.5-2 pant sizes. enough to make me put this out there in the first place. no problems with my eyes (that I can tell). I did notice a couple other symptoms that I read that i think i might have. again, it's hard to tell. I did read that sometimes due to illness the thyroid can act up for a couple weeks. Makes me wonder.

    thanks for the concern - I was seeking information which is why I put this out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone! My weight over the years has fluctuated from extremes of 115lbs to 160lb and my "normal" of 127lbs. I keep clothes in my closet from a range of size 2 to size 8 just because I never know what size I will be month to month. I eat a very balanced d-friendly diet and exercise moderately everyday. There is NO reason for the fluctuations. Everything else about me is "healthy".

    I have also been suspicious of my thyroid. Every test comes back normal or "inconclusive"... But we all know that auto immune diseases like to mimic other diseases and or make it seem like they don't exist ;/

    The really sad part - I am so happy when I am "skinny size 2 me" and I get angry when I am "normal size 6 me". ahhh the mind games...

    Sigh... I know that is not really helpful - but maybe some comfort can come from knowing you are not the only one and you are not crazy (as my doctor's like to suggest about me....).

    I hope you can figure it out. I hope we all can. Let us know if this situation changes again...

    krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shuckers...I'd be confused too. You know...everyone is always saying how the DOC makes them feel like their not alone. Even before diabetes I've always felt like I'm wierd and lonely and so after diabetes it's no wonder I still did. So for me, the DOC support is relative because...because I'm me. But, for the first time I got a serious feeling of "I'm not alone" and it's thanks to your honest post. Thank you. Now back to you. A doctor I talked to once about gluten free eating said that his patients tend to lose weight eating gluten free. Just thought I'd throw that out there (don't really know anything about it). The thyroid is something to look at...although there would be other symptoms I think. I have all the low thyroid symptoms but my level is the absolute lowest of the normal range. A doc once told me that my range could be a little different based on my personal physiology and that for me the level should indeed classify as low. So sometimes when people have certain symptoms and their doc says their thyroid levels are "fine" maybe there is more to it than that. Anyway, I'm no doc. I just hope you figure out what's going on. I think you're right to not ignore it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bovine capsules are natural supplements that will help your thyroid to function normally.

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)