Monday, December 20, 2010

The GOOD news (Part 1)

This has been mulling in my head for a week now.  I had my Endo appointment last Monday.  Do you want the good news or the bad news first?  We usually go with the good news right?  Okay.

My A1C went down, significantly, for the first time in over 3 years or so.  Even then, the only reason it was ever low'ish was because I was ill for a number of years and not really eating.  Before I got ill I consistently hovered between 8 and 9%, not good.  Over the past 3 years I have been watching it climb steadily upwards.  When I went on the pump 2 years ago, my A1C has been going up ever since.  Every single time without fail.  I was beginning to get angry, physically and mentally angry.  I wanted to punch a wall.  The pump was supposed to help me after all.  It helped me live a better life but that just wasn't being reflected in my A1C. 

This past appointment was either going to make or break me.  I'm happy for my own sake and my family and friends' that it didn't break me.

This just goes to show that the pump is only as good as it's operator.  As a note to Sam @ Talking Blood Glucose who is having a bumpy start to insulin pumping, I am proof.  Proof that it most certainly does take years of tweaking to get that pump working as best as it can.  Years of banging my head against a wall and screaming at nothing.  But folks, the good  news is that it came down.  I have debated weather or not I felt like publishing my A1C and I've determined it doesn't bother me.  When I started pumping my A1C was hovering around 7%.  It continued to climb to my last appointment to 7.8%.  In 3 months I managed to bring it down to 7.1%.  A drop of 0.7% is something worth talking about.  My endo smiled at me, he was genuinely happy because the last time I saw him I left in tears.  He said "Wow, that's a big drop, you must be working really hard."  So that's my bragging rights for now.  I was shocked, floored, totally taken aback. 

Nobody (except for the DOC) knows what I had to do to get that.  For those who follow my blog, the primary contributing factor is that I exercise the shit out of myself. Another factor which I won't go into details is the lack of stress.  Sure there is still stress but a difficult time was upon me and it was all-consuming and detrimental to my health.  Ergo, the stress relief, sweating and heavy breathing are what I owe it to.  I cried on my drive home.  I cried because I was overwhelmed with seeing my efforts paying off.  I also cried because of the "bad news" to follow tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your A1C! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your result! Great news :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOT WOOT! I am a little nervous about the bad news though...:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have a long way to go. But seeing ANY improvement means the world. thanks guys.

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)