Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Vegetarian Gluten-Free Chili

I love chili.

You wouldn’t know it given that I’m very much a vegetarian but I do. I love chili. Perhaps it’s because of my vegetarianism that leads me to like chili. I love beans, all kinds of beans. I have a hard time not eating them straight out of the can before they even make it into the chilli. When I discovered veggie ground round, it meant that any dish that was previously made with ground beef could become vegetarian.  Some of my favourites were tacos, shepherd’s pie and chili.  Even my father who is anti-soy/vegetarian had a few bowls of my chili without knowing.  The last time I was preparing to make it and I was looking at the ingredients list on the veggie ground round I discovered that it has gluten in it. I didn’t give up though – and went out and got some granulated TVP. I know, textured vegetable protein sounds disgusting I’m sure but once mixed up in a big pot with spices and beans it really has no flavour at all and simply adds a ground beef’ish texture.

Ingredients:
1 chopped green pepper
1 chopped and sauteed onion
2 cups granulated TVP
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
2 18oz cans beans of any sort. I usually prefer a mixture between red kidney, chickpeas and black beans in a larger recipe I use 3 cans.
1 28oz jar/can tomato sauce
(LOTS OF) Spices: chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, basil, sea salt & black pepper


First rehydrate the TVP with 1 part granules to 1 part boiling water. For this recipe I used 2 cups. I threw the whole thing into my slow cooker and put it on low for 4 hours. It doesn’t taste AS good as the veggie ground round but it still turned out quite delicious. Especially with a whole bunch of melty grated cheddar cheese on top.

With these ingredients I calculated approx 30 grams of carbs per cup and 8 grams of fibre. It’s low carb, very low fat and a fibre overload!

Afterthought:  Since I wrote this post 3 days ago and have now had this chili for lunch for 3 days it's safe to say the fibre overload really is an overload.  OH BOY!
You know what they say right? Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you eat the more you..... ____ !!

3 comments:

  1. Beans, beans they warm your heart, the more you eat, the more you ....____! ;)

    Sounds delicious Scully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the TVP that causes all the music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it warm....I'm on my way!!! YUMMY!

    No canker sores with that :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)