Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Scully's 6 Things For D-Blog Day


Today is the 6th annual D-Blog day.  Organized by Gina at Diabetes Talk Fest.  The topic for this year is 6 things you want people to know about diabetes.  I had trouble at first but once I started, well ideas just kept coming.  I had to actually narrow it down to 6 though I was tempted to put more.

ONE:      Diabetes often comes with tag-along friends.  People with Type 1 diabetes are more likely to develop other autoimmune disorders such as Thyroid disorders, Celiac disease and Addison's disease.  We are also 31% more likely to suffer from depression and anxiety disorders.  Not to mention every single organ in our body is compromised.  I am already struggling (not suffering) with 2 tag along friends.

TWO:      Type 1 is not the end of the world nor is it a death sentence anymore (thanks to the discovery of insulin).  But that doesn't take away from the fact that it never ends.  There is never a break in our lives like other diseases.  It is by far one of the most demanding diseases on the patient.  We don't joke when we say twenty-four hours a day, three hundred and sixty-five days a year.

THREE:      We will never be the perfect pancreas that we lack in our own bodies.  Our organs aren't designed to run on our brains trying to simulate hormones.  Therefore diabetes will always be a disease of trial and error.  What works one day won't work the next but if you're lucky maybe next week.  There is NO rhyme or reason, just general guidelines.  We simply can not, no matter how hard we try, accurately mimic our broken organs.

FOUR:      Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are closely related but managed entirely differently.  I believe that they shouldn't have names so close and easy to confuse.  I feel they are very very different.  And sometimes I would appreciate it if people would take that into consideration before passing on articles that have nothing to do with me just because they have the word "diabetes" in the title. 

FIVE:      Type 1 diabetics did nothing to deserve it.  There is no known reason as to why our immune systems randomly decided to attack themselves.  You can't do anything to get type 1.  It is not really genetic, nor is it a juvenile disease.  It can happen at any age though usually in children.  There is no cure, no fix, no solution.  You can't get it from eating too many sweets or not exercising.  There is no way to predict who will get it and who will not. 

SIX:      INSULIN IS NOT A CURE!  It's a band aid.  It is our life support.  without it, we would die.

THIS is my life support.


7 comments:

  1. Agree, agree and agree. Thanks for your list and perspective, Scully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my post for today written out and then I saw this *headdesk* So now I have tomorrow written! Cause I like this 'meme' as it were. I'm going to have a go. Love all your points. Though I don't know, the family thing is something I swing with. I am diabetic, so is my mum, aunt, uncle, other uncle, and two grandparents. *___* Four have type 1, 3 have type 2.

    Ack, who the hell told people insulin was a cure? I want to shoot them. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME! I really like the way you put #3. Beautiful 6!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this! You just explained a lot of confusing things in a clear and easy to understand way. I also like how you wrote #3. And about the "tag-alongs"...man...those can do as much damage as the diabetes! Great post! Oh and I had to narrow down my things to only six as well lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. HELLO, I just found your blog and I though I do not let people know where I'm living we are very, very close :) I look forward to reading your blog and getting to know you!!

    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally relate to #3. I wrote something similar. Everyone thinks we can just manage everything perfectly, and we can't! It really sucks.

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)