Thursday, September 9, 2010

Test Before Belaying

Not a whole heck of a lot to report on the diabetes front.  Blood sugars have been behaving most of the time.  I was out rock climbing with a friend on Monday.  I was teaching him the basics so I could have another buddy to climb with.  My blood sugars had been running high for the previous few days and rock climbing isn't exactly super strenuous exercise.  Not enough to mess with my blood sugar but it did on Monday.  I was belaying him while he climbed when the world started closing in on me.  I still had a grasp on reality so I absentmindedly let him play around on the rock and didn't say anything.  By the time he was ready to come down I was grateful.  Belaying requires two hands at all times and constant paying attention.  I had to wait until he was back on his feet on the ground before I could let go of the rope long enough to grab my meter and test.  I found myself sitting at 3.2 mmol/l (57 mg/dl). 
A belay device

A needed break and a handful of Rockets later I was back on the wall myself.  It's not an exciting story in the least but it helps to put things in perspective sometimes.  Being the belayer means I hold the life of the climber in my hands through a small device attached to my harness and nothing else.  If I'm not paying all my attention to them, it could turn into a potentially dangerous situation.  I knew I could bide my time this Monday because I have very good hypo-awareness.  If I felt myself loosing grip on reality (and the rope) I would have brought him down straight away.  But it didn't feel like it was getting that serious.  It scares me a little that if one day I get a major crash sneak up on me and knock me down faster than I can contain it when I'm doing something like that.  There I am, with both hands full and unable to take my attention away for not even a second to test.  I hope that never happens but as a diabetic, I can't forget for a moment that I need to take extra precautions.  It's not just me alone going for a run or bike ride and only putting myself at risk, I'm putting someone else at risk to trust me with their life.  Moral of the story: test before taking someones life into your own hands.

In other not-so-terrifying news,  I'm going on holidays for a week with my family.  A much needed break from the monotony and stress of life.  We're heading down to South Carolina for some beach time leaving on the 17th and returning on the 25th.  I've never done this before and I really didn't think I would bother but if anyone is interested in guest posting, drop me a line through my email.  To find my email click here.  I'd love it if anyone is interested.

1 comment:

  1. You literally "Rock!" Thank you so much for the Rockets- completely unexpected! Check out my post!

    Have a great vacation- South Carolina is beautiful!!! Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)