Thursday, September 16, 2010

Invisible Illness Week - Meme

To finish off the week here, I'm going with the Invisible Illness Meme.  I'm getting a bit tired of memes lately.  I know its only Thursday but I'm leaving for holidays tomorrow so really it's like Friday to me. 

This meme was hard to write.  I am as honest and up front as I can possibly be.  I have no shame in how it effects me.

30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know:
 1. The illness I live with is: Type 1 Diabetes

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2002

3. But I had symptoms since: I was diagnosed 3 days after symptoms started because it was induced by a steroids prescription I was taking to combat a poison ivy rash. The sterioids Immediately within 24 hours killed my pancreas.   However, it was 2 months before I started insulin.

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: Changing my whole life, not gonna lie

5. Most people assume: I can’t eat anything with sugar in it, which in a sense is true.  Yes I can have it but it wrecks my blood sugar by causing nasty spikes no matter what.  So really I shouldn't eat sugar but that doesn't mean I can't.

6. The hardest part about mornings are: Actually, the mornings are the most well-controlled for me, it only took 6 years to perfect it, now lets work on the rest of the day!

7. My favorite medical TV show is: I don't really watch TV at all.  Does Grey's Anatomy count? I download it but its not really a medical show.

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: Well this one is going to be obvious, my insulin pump.  I COULD live without it, but not without taking insulin injections in some manner.  I couldn't live without my glucose meter - THAT'S for sure!

9. The hardest part about nights are: I imagine this will be the same for a lot of us Type1's that's the fear of my body not waking me up during a serious hypo, in which the consequences are.. well... possible death.

10. Each day I take __ pills and vitamins. (No comments, please) I don't take pills for my diabetes.  It's more like a continuous insulin drip.

11. Regarding alternative treatments I: get pretty irate at the ideas out there.  THERE ARE NO ALTERNATIVE TREATMENTS PEOPLE!  pancreas no make insulin.  'nuff said.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: an invisible one because strangers can't judge me and I get to pick and choose who knows.  Though now that I think about it, I wouldn't choose either.

13. Regarding working and career: I'm lucky diabetes doesn't intrude in my career.  The only problem is trying to find a job with health benefits.

14. People would be surprised to know: that diabetes effects me to the depth of my core and is the number one cause of my depression.

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: that diabetes will inevitably eventually and PROBABLY kill me before my time is up

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: Backpack south-east asia, run half marathons and continue my active lifestyle

17. The commercials about my illness: I seriously don't watch TV and pay no attention to media - suffice to say I'm happily ignorant to what the commercials say.  I am aware that they are almost entirely aimed at Type 2.

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: Not counting every morsel that passes my mouth.  I miss the lack of thought process around food in general.  I took eating for granted.

19. It was really hard to have to give up: living without a care in the world and living for the moment because I can't live for the moment, EVER AGAIN.

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: blogging about it

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Go for a bike ride or run without even thinking about it.  Then I'd snack away at a party for HOURS without even thinking about it.  I'd eat a piece of cake and NOT FEEL GUILTY!!!  However, a day could never break me of my habits so it might be counter-productive.

22. My illness has taught me: that I am stronger than I thought.  That my life has become so presciously fragile and to not take my health for granted.

23. Want to know a secret? I fucking hate the term "finger stick" (a term refering to blood glucose test)  it makes me cringe

24. But I love it when people: are impressed with the lifestyle I manage with this monster

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: "I am a work in progress."  Ginger Vieira

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: That sucks! and "it will get easier with time" and probably "you will eventually accept it"

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: how much I've learned about health, nutrition and how the body works

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: put their hand on my shoulder to ground me as I suffered a major crash

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: I want to bring awareness to the struggles and the emotional difficulties of living with a 24/7/365 chronic illness.  Also to bring forth how prevalant invisible chronic illnesses are.

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: scared but appreciative

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! It's comforting to read that others share the same struggle. There is a strength, and relief, in numbers.

    Sending positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs and prayers for ya!
    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)