Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Diabetes Art Day

Okay, so sometimes I can be an art nerd.  I took extra-curricular art classes all through my childhood and participated in a handful of art shows both through school and otherwise.  I do so love expressing myself with doodles and paintings.  I have wandered pretty far from my roots over the years of distractions of responsible adult-hood so Lee Ann's idea for Diabetes Art Day was exciting.  It quickly trickled across the diabetes blogosphere and soon enough everybody was writing about it.  These communal blog ideas give me a big smile.  I love how they spread like a really fun virus.  What I like even more is participating in it.  It just brings the whole wide DOC together in a strange cyber-communicative way.  So Lee Ann's idea is simple and cute: make some diabetes related art and post it.  Lee Ann is an Art Therapist who specializes in treating people with diabetes.  I have always had an interest in art as therapy from the professional sense.  Though I don't take it upon myself to participate in art projects for therapy on a regular basis, I have always known the benefits when I do.

So I procrastinated (bad Scully!) and here I am the last day of August trying to nail down the ideas floating around in my brain.  There were so many ideas that I found it hard to choose.  Although, because I'm a lazy procrastinator I couldn't bring myself to break out the paints and canvases in time so I opted for a drawing.  Its simple and not too complicated.   I wanted it to resemble diabetes of course and maybe express how I feel.  I will be the first to admit I can't think of a single happy thought or art idea related to diabetes.  Maybe it's just me but I don't find it inspiring in that way.  When I really concentrate on it, it brings me down and suffocates me.  So no, this is not a fruity "Way To Go Cure" piece of work, this is my dark self, my true self.  Then again, maybe this is reason enough to try and think of something good about it.
 

10 comments:

  1. WOW was the first thing that came to my mind too. I immediately looked down at my over-poked for blood fingertips after looking at it. Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.

    This touched a place deep inside I rarely visit...very thought provoking.

    And beautiful.

    I'm Wendy, btw. My daughter is 7 -- she was dx 5 years ago. She and I both have celiac as well. Stop by sometime...we're happy to help your gluten free journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Wendy. One thing is for certain, coming online and voicing myself as led me to some pretty amazing people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an impressive drawing! It's interesting because there had been another drawing of a hand with blood, but the difference between yours and hers is night and day. Since you've had some art training beyond grade school, which usually marks the end of most people's "art careers", you are probably no stranger to drawing your hand as a drawing exercise in observation. What strikes me is how an otherwise mundane drawing exercise becomes something sad and beautiful once you include elements of diabetes, in this case, blood. I think of it as a metaphor for our lives - most of us have otherwise mundane, typical lives, but the diabetes details put a sad twist on it, that ultimately alters the character of our lives.

    It's a beautiful drawing that's loaded with ideas, even in its simplicity. Thank you for contributing it to Diabetes Art Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your drawing is amazing. Love how detailed it is. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a little late to comment here but I wanted to say WOW! This is so powerful. It really moved me and I felt it right in my heart AND my gut.

    So glad to have stumbled upon your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blood never stops flowing. Those fingers are endless drips of pain.

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)