Friday, September 10, 2010

D-Meme Train, Choo choo!

It's going around, the D-meme!  And since Kerri started it, it's sure to make it's way around to every D-blogger.  So I'm going to jump on the tardy train as George likes to call it!  More importantly because its Friday and well, I'm lame.

What type of diabetes do you have: Type 1 Insulin dependant

When were you diagnosed: July 19th, 2002

What's your current blood sugar: 7.2 mmol/l (130 mg/dl)

What kind of meter do you use: Contour Link.  I don't like it but it seems to be the only meter available to me that links with my Medtronic pump.  (something to do with Canada again no doubt)

How many times a day do you test your blood sugar: 10-15 depending on if it's an exercise day or not.

What's a "high" number for you: Anything over 9.0 mmol/l (160 mg/dl).

What's do you consider "low": Anything under 3.8 mmol/l (68 mg/dl).

What's your favorite low blood sugar reaction treater: my FAVOURITE would be the Dex4 glucose liquids and gels.  Fast as hell!  But expensive.  So lately, glucose tablets, juice and rockets.

Describe your dream endo: Since the question said "dream" endo...  I'm gonna say one with Type 1 diabetes!  Who to better treat you than that?

What's your biggest diabetes achievement: Backpacking southeast Asia for 4 months, running half marathons.

What's your biggest diabetes-related fear:  All of it! But more specifically, heart disease/heart attack.

Who's on your support team:  It's difficult to say, I think *I* am my most important support because nobody knows my body like me.  My family and friends to a certain degree and definitely the DOC.  Not really my doctors, sadly.

Do you think there will be a cure in your lifetime:  No, no and no.  Did I mention NO?!  But I'm pessimistic and I'm sick of hearing it.  I have little faith in hope.  If it happens, I'll be the first to be lined up but I'm surely not waiting patiently.

What is a "cure" to you: somehow reversing the auto-immune response and having those precious islet cells be able to produce insulin again aka: successful islet transplants. 

The most annoying thing people say to you about your diabetes is: anything along the lines of "don't worry, you'll be fine." 'cuz it just ain't true.  Also, "live in the moment" that really irks me, any diabetic knows there's no such thing.  Our moments require so much premeditated planning, which in the end they really aren't moments anymore.

What is the most common misconception about diabetes:  That I can take care of it with diet and exercise or that it is somehow closely related to Type 2 which it totally is not, or that I somehow caused this.

If you could say one thing to your pancreas, what would it be: Fuck You. (sorry for my blunt honesty)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)