Monday, August 16, 2010

The Tortoise and The Hare

Which one am I? The tortoise, that's right.  I ran another 10k race yesterday.  I have always known I was the tortoise when it comes to running.  Slow and steady may not win the race, but it'll do for crossing the finish line.  I didn't have a good run though.  My BG's were pretty good, which was surprising.  They have been going too low during exercise lately, and often.  1/2 hour before the start after already having my temp basal on at 25% for an hour I was sitting at only 6.2 (112).  Not very good to start an hours worth of running for me.  My BG plummets when I exercise.  I drank a bottle of apple juice at 32g of carbs. 

The weather for the day was calling for a high of 40C (104F) with the humidex, thank goodness the race was in the morning.  It was overcast but that didn't matter for heat because it felt like a tropical rain forest.  There was so much humidity in the air we may as well have been running on a treadmill in a steam room.  I remember not feeling so great at the measly 1km mark.  I plodded through at my own pace.  I tried to keep my pace with what my breath and body was capable of.  There was this woman (read: hare) that kept passing me, then slowing to a walk at which time I would go past her, next thing I know there she is again flying by me and stopping up ahead to walk.  This went on for a long time before she just stayed in front of me.  Tortoise here, remember? 

Later in the race my BG started dropping.  Slowly but surely, it threatened to finish me.  It's intense the thoughts that go through ones brain while running.  They are all but rational!  I carry glucose tabs but no water and just couldn't stomach the thought of glucose tabs when I'm dehydrated.  At the 8km mark with 2 more to go my BG dropped to about 5.6 (100) .  That's a bit low considering how hard my body was working.  Y'know what? I ignored it.  I kept repeating in my head "just make it past the finish line and then you can collapse into a bottle of glucose tabs."  For the first time ever I said screw it and I'll deal with the consequences that will probably happen rather than being proactive. 

The last couple km's I was now running with another hare.  This one was a guy, we kept playing leap frog together.  He'd run past me, stop to walk and I'd just keep at my regular pace.  Then he'd run past me again and so on and so forth.  Until the last 100m when he sprinted past me and I actually laughed at him.  It just seemed so ridiculous.  He had been walking and running for 2km.   I never slowed down once, just kept my slow tortoise pace.  I crossed the finish line at a surprising 1:05 again!  I thought for sure I was way longer than that.  To top the ice cream off with a cherry, my BG never crashed.  It was low'ish but the glycogen being released brought it right up to normal within 10 minutes of finishing.  I'd like to think it was timed just right.  So all in all it was okay.  I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have.  It was SO humid and I felt like I was dragging my ass something fierce.  I was pleased with the same finish time as last time though. 

To piss me off afterwards, my sensor was completely unattached again.  THREE days.  That's all I got.  I was so motivated I tried pushing the needle back into the hole but it hurt like a motherf*!#er so I gave up.  I can't deal with these things being so damn flimsy and wimpy.  They don't stick worth a DAMN!!!!!!!  It really angered me beyond belief.  I simply can not wear these things if I'm going to be doing any exercise.  I'd rather put my $50 into something actually worthwhile.  I am, however, going to try one last thing.  You will probably laugh but I'm really at the end of my straw with these things.  So stay tuned...

4 comments:

  1. I know you are super active, so I am not sure if this is a completely stupid question... are there days when you don't exercise? Maybe you could wear the sensors then. Or wear them for a week or two with only "moderate" exercise to get your baseline data, and then only wear them as needed. I would be super frustrated too! But way to go with the race time, and BS triumph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT JOB!!!!! That is so awesome! I am also pretty slow when it comes to running, but I just love crossing that finish line! I am glad your blood sugar cooperated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I'm one of those guys that sprints like Usain Bolt over the last 200m - I always save my energy until I'm sure of finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Norhterner, I think I've done it a few times - So I guess I'm a hypochrite! It just made me laugh this time because we had been playing leap frog for 2 kms and my pace never varied.

    and Katie, my sensor dilema will continue. The last one lasted me 1 day, yes ONE DAY!!!!! My exercise is random at best so wearing them sporadically isn't very good. Plus I often wear them for exercise purposes so it's a double edged sword.

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)