Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ontario Paradise

This past weekend was a long weekend for us here folks.  I did what every active outdoor Canadian would do on a gorgeous August long weekend.  I went camping. 

As per usual, my D-pal joined but kept mostly to itself as I was too busy gallivanting lakes to fuss about it.  It took us 4.5 hours of driving and 8.5 hours of canoeing and portaging to reach our intended destination.  That destination: A quite peaceful campsite in the middle of Algonquin Park.  A haven I like to call home.  It was a strenuous long haul of a day and although paddling and portaging aren't particularly energy consuming activities, the duration of said activities had an impact.  I went into the day with slightly elevated BG's and set a temp basal that was too low.  I overestimated the activity level.  Oops.  I shut off temp basal hours before we reached camp and was peachy for the evening.  We retired to our tent for some games of dice just past dusk to hide from the insanity of mosquitoes.  The food bag was already hung off in the bushes and all I had was one little glucose gel as I couldn't keep my tablets in the tent with me since they are not contained and still have an odor.  Odors that attract unwanted possible bear attention.  The day of exercise had it's toll though and a short while later we were out getting the food pack down from the tree because I needed a Clif gel to sustain my BG's for the night.  Still woke up low though but not crashing, there is a difference! 

The second night I experienced the same thing except I decided to do a D-experiment.  A D'speriment if you will.  I knew I would go low during the night.  Its awful to have a crash in the middle of a night in a tent in bear country.  Once the crash is treated, the evidence of treatment needs to be disposed of properly.  Providing I'm even awake enough to recognize this which I usually just fall back asleep with my tablet container open and spilling.  Anyway, I set a temp basal for 70% for 6 hours or so and it did the trick!  I remember waking up and groggily thinking "I'm still here!"  Not that I would be dead, just that I didn't crash during the night.  I still, again, woke up a bit low though.  Nothing a good overstuffed spoonful of peanut butter couldn't handle. 

The third day we had to backtrack the 8.5hours of paddling and portaging to the car - and a 5 hour drive home.  I learned my lesson en route in and set a temp basal of only 75%.  BG's went a bit low once or twice but nothing I couldn't handle, and certainly nothing that slowed me down much.  It was somewhat windy (not in our direction) and rough waters on the big lake out so I burned through more calories than expected.  We hit the snaky shallow river and I remember thinking, "We're paddling upstream in low water and against the wind with a loaded canoe through thick reeds, what odds."  Not that it was bad, just tiring after already going for 6+ hours. 

Anyway, alls well that ends well.  It was an ideal weekend.  Nice weather (no rain), not too many mosquitoes and more than anything else - WELL behaved blood sugars.  Its amazing how much easier to manage diabetes is without the stresses of everyday life.  Hardly a single high blood sugar and just a couple lows.  I don't think I could ask for anything better.  Except for more days away from here and in the tent of course. 

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful post Scully, I'm just a little jealous! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is amazing how much easier the 'betes is to control when you're not doing stressful day-to-day things, like paying bills and working and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never survive in Bear Country- kudos to you for being adventurous! Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Northerner, THANKS mucho.

    Jaquie, we all need more time off from life to live comfortably with the D. I can't believe how much every day stress makes it so unmanageable. Even when I'm not under a great amount of stress, I dont' know what it is!

    Brooke, thems just leetle black bears in those parts. I would be terrified if I was in grizzly country.

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)