Thursday, August 5, 2010

How Long Was I Out For?!

Sometimes things happen to me with regards to diabetes that have never happened before.  Every time something happens I always think, "I didn't know this could happen." I'm always amazed that things can still go wrong that I've never experienced before.

I've been trotting through the day totally unaware that I've been unplugged from my pump ALL morning and its coming up on noon right now.  My pants have been enjoying the insulin delivery all the while I'm dying away here.  How did this happen? One might wonder.  I must have not plugged in right after my shower this morning, I thought I heard the safe *click*.  I ate the same breakfast I eat every single morning.  When my 2-hour post meal alarm went off I tested and it was at 12.3 (220).  Now after eating this breakfast and dosing for it day in and day out for years I thought wow that's a weird number, hmm, I've been working so much lately I haven't been exercising like I normally would.  I assumed that's all it was.  I popped a correction bolus in and went about my morning.  I started feeling nauseous, drowsy and thirsty.  I worked late last night and haven't had any fluids this morning except some coffee so I attributed it to that.  Just now, right before noon, I had to go to the bathroom.  As I'm sitting there doing my business I look down and see my infusion set just hanging out, NOT doing anything but absentmindedly delivering insulin into the air.   FUCK.  I was high after breakfast because I probably didn't even get my breakfast bolus.  I ran back to my desk and my BG is sitting at 21.1 (380)  5 or 6 hours without insulin, no shit!  I RAGE bolused that sucker with 5 units and set my temp basal for 130% for the next 4 hours.  Fingers crossed that this doesn't mess up my whole day. 

Just when you think you've got this stuff nailed, something *new* happens.  Its one of those curve balls I hate about diabetes.  Something is bound to go wrong that you never expected and has never happened before.  It also reinforces just how important insulin is.  5 hours without it and I'm in a world of hurt.

So yeah, it feels like I was knocked out and just came to and said, "How long was I out for?"  Mental picture of a cartoon character with stars and birdies floating around his head.  Except for the fact that I'm sitting here high and not in my normal sane-o-sphere,  I'm still out of it.


  1. I've done that before too...and it sucks. I've also left my pump at my friend's house after a shower for nearly 8 hours before noticing.....also a "how long was I out for" comment. It's one error in a long period of no worries- it happens to us all!

  2. It's a first for me, and I will be checking more often now. I started serial bolusing and had my temp basal on for 8 hours before seeing a number in range. kicked the crap out of me. BUT, that was yesterday and today I'm back to the norm. I can't believe you were unplugged for 8 hours before noticing! what a royal pain in the arse! LIQUID life this stuff is!


Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)