Friday, August 20, 2010

D-Feast Friday - Shakshuka!

I once dated an Canadian born Israeli who was still very much an Israeli.  He introduced me to a wonderful world of middle-eastern cuisine that I fell in love with.  Israeli food more specifically is probably some of my favourite.  He taught me how to make things like hummus and baba ganoush.  One dish he taught me to make was Shakshuka.  I was really hesitant at the time, it sounded disgusting.  It most certainly wasn't disgusting tasting.  You have to like tomatoes though!

Shakshuka is traditionally a peasant dish.  Made with very basic ingredients that are totally cheap.

I never really realized at the time (post diagnosis) how good it is for blood sugar control.  I've been having mad cravings for it lately and I honestly haven't made it in years.  It's low carb and low fat.  I've been trying a gluten-free diet now for 3 weeks so it fit my craving.

Ingredients:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Can of diced tomatoes
1 fat tomato - chopped
1 green pepper - chopped
1/2 onion - chopped
3-6 eggs
tomato paste
minced garlic
spices:  tumeric, cayenne, paprika, oregano, thyme, sea salt & pepper

As for the amount of spices? I use a lot.  about a teaspoon of each except for cayenne and salt to taste.

I would HIGHLY recommend a cast iron pan, I've done it with non-stick but it doesn't come out the same.

First, get your ingredients together (spices not shown because I forgot)


Chop and weigh/measure like a good little responsible diabetic. Don't forget the candy for a damn blood sugar crash. Why do I always go low when preparing food with big knives in my hand?


With the pan already preheated to medium-low, sautee the garlic, green peppers and onions until a bit browned, about 10 minutes.

Then add tomatoes, canned diced tomatoes and 2 or 3 tablespoons of tomato paste. 





Sautee for 5 minutes and add spices.






Move the sauce around and form a hole for the egg.  The eggs cook best if they are sitting right on the cast iron with no junk underneath.  I like this picture because it displays my tattoo and I didn't even try!  I only used 3 eggs but I should have used 6.  Way too much tomato stuff and not enough eggy goodness.  I also couldn't get the eggs right down to the cast iron as I was trying to photograph it at the same time so my eggs didn't quite cook all the way through.  They should be semi-poached.  It should take about 10 minutes providing the eggs are sitting right on the pan.

So there you have it.  I know it doesn't look very appetizing, It needs more eggs!  It is traditionally eaten with warm pita breads but since I'm going gluten-free, I ate it straight up.  you could have it as a side dish or put it on rice or pasta.  With all the ingredients I used and measured, it's 70grams of carbs for the whole thing.

10 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!! It looks delish! Tomatoes are one of my favorite things to eat (I eat them daily!). I am definitely going to have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! If it's ok with you, I'd like to snag this receipe and re-post it for the gluten free world. mmm and a carb count too, awesome. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie: tomatoes are the bomb! this is very much for tomato lovers.

    Amanda: go nuts!

    it really goes better with pita bread but I'm weird and like to eat things by themselves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious!

    P.S. Thanks for the BlogRoll mention! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of a breakfast I had in San Diego at a Mexican restaurant where eggs were poached in a tomato sauce on top of a soft tortilla shell - think it was called heuvos racheros - it was delicious!
    I love all the spices - that's what makes foods taste the best. You can guess what a few of us will be making for a meal real soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great! One question, how does it do as leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fiona, I'm not sure about leftovers, I've never had them leftover. I'd imagine the egg part wouldn't keep so well leftover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks awesome. I'm trying that soon! Thanks to @GfreeYEG for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well this certainly is an interesting dish from many aspects. Thanks for adding to the DFeast list. I saw the pic of Mike and Ikes before reading the description and got a chuckle out of the reason they were there (though indeed I appreciate there's nothing funny about lows).

    Wonderful pics too!

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)