Friday, August 27, 2010

D-Feast Friday - Chinese Vegetarian Dumplings

Okay so some of you have figured out by now I spent 2 years teaching English in Taiwan.  Naturally I picked up some culinary delights from there.  I concocted this dumpling recipe out of trial and error.  Taiwan is generally a meat-eating country and I've been a vegetarian for 12-some-odd years.  Chinese dumplings or Jiaozi are traditionally made with ground pork, beef or shrimp so feel free to substitute.  Just be sure to cook it first as the dumplings dont get boiled for long at all.  I also wonder after making these for eons why I never used vermicelli noodles (rice noodles).  They are usually a dumpling staple.

Also, sadly, this is not gluten free so I wasn't able to partake in the eating of them.  I was told, though, that this batch was some of my best.  Go figure.

Ingredients:
-1/2 lb extra firm tofu
-1/2 lb veggie ground round
-1 cup shredded carrots
-1/2 cup drained chopped water chestnuts
-1-2 chopped green onions
-2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
-1 egg lightly beaten (not 2 as seen in the pic)
-1 tbsp sesame oil
-2 tbsp soy sauce
-2 tbsp xiao xing cooking wine (aka: rice wine)
-4 tsp cornstarch

-Wonton wrappers (round or square)

The xiao xing cooking wine is not imperative but I find it just "makes" the flavour like I remember it.

Mash the tofu and veggie ground round.  I like to use a pastry knife, it's fantastic for mashing anything.  Mix in all the rest of the ingredients and mash some more!





Put a small spoonful onto one of the wonton wrappers and wet all four edges with your finger dipped in some water.  Fold over into a triangle and press tightly until the sides are sealed.  Too much "stuff" and you'll never get it sealed.  Then they explode in the water when cooking.  Not good!



Place under a clean moist tea towel while stuffing and waiting.
They refrigerate well but only pre-cooked.  Store in a container layered between moist paper towel.  Don't let them stick to each other or they become permanently stuck.




Throw them in boiling water for maybe 5-7 minutes.  Remove with slotted spoon.







You can dip them in soy sauce, rooster sauce (HOT sauce), hoison sauce (my favourite) or no sauce... a combination or whatever! The insides are pretty much negligible for carb count and the wonton wrappers are 4g carbs each so I estimate maybe 6g carbs each.  Sauce choice may effect that also.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Scully,
    Those look yummy! If you want to make the recipe gluten free it is doable, but its a bit of work.

    The wonton wrappers can be made gluten free, but it's a bit of work (see:
    http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/2009/01/gluten-free-wontons-shu-mei.html

    And swap out the Soya Sauce for VH brand soya sauce (it's gf) and you can get gf hoison sauce too. In my opinion the hoison sauce when gluten free tastes different but others disagree. And really, the VH brand soya sauce is darker in color and possibly stronger in flavor so if too strong you can water it down (I do).There are other gf soya sauces out there too, but VH is easy to find & cheap(er)in comparison.

    Great receipe, I'm gonna try this one forsure.I'm loving that you're putting up awesome recipes for D-feast fridays! Thank you & you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't decided if gluten-free is right for me yet, I'm still in the trial stage so I have yet to really get out there and shop. Thanks for the wonton recipe though, I'll keep that in mind.
    The veggie ground round also has wheat in it. I guess it doesn't matter if you use meat - but I'm a vegetarian so it sucks and its a major ingredient.
    Glad you like the recipes, I might just keep 'em coming for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these look wonderful, not too hard to make and you can't bear the carb count!

    What is veggie ground round?

    Awesome pictures again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veggie ground round is a soy-based ground beef product that I use for everything vegetarian: lasagna, tacos, sheppherds pie and chili.
    see here:
    http://yvesveggie.ca/index.php/products/product/original_veggie_ground_round/

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)