Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Stationary Heat Wave

Its damn hot here in Southern Ontario.  We are experiencing the first heat wave of the summer.  What does that mean for me?  It means I have to sit on my ass.  No running or cycling or heavy exercise of any kind.  The daily temperatures are reaching the mid 30's.  Which doesn't sound so bad but because I live so close to Lake Ontario, the humidity puts the temperatures up to 40 degrees Celsius today. (104 F)  It shows no sign of letting up all week either.  I would be stupid to go for a run in this insane humidity.  It isn't cooling down much until its too late in the day for exercise.  I suppose I could drag my ass to the gym.  *SIGH*  boring and monotonous.  That's the beauty of summer, the gym can suck my ass for a few months.
Needless to say I feel handcuffed (foot cuffed?).  Not being able to play is like jail and this heat is like hell.  However, there's something about the heat that always makes me want to work out more but logic tells me it probably wouldn't be a smart idea.  So here I sit twiddling my thumbs and trying ever so patiently to wait for more normal temperatures.  My D-friend was just getting used to all the regular torture.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Scully, I know how you feel - not a fan of the heat myself and it's been stopping me recently too here in England. Especially with the uncertainty of how it might affect your levels :( I have managed a couple of short ones the past few days - trying to get out early morning before the heat of the day has had a chance to build. Hope you manage to get out there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to hear some advice on how you exercise so effectively. This is my number one frustration right now...I go low a ton even when I don't take insulin when I eat, turn off my pump, drink juice, gatorade and everything else..still low during a workout. How do you do it??

    I was 21 when I was diagnosed 5 years ago- wouldn't it be nice to just be able to run around outside like kids like I used to do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brigdon, get hold of a copy of 'Diabetic Athlete's Handbook' by Sheri Colberg. It helped me enormously when getting back into my running after diagnosis. I'm the opposite - I have to have the normal amount of insulin before running, but the run will lower my requirements for up to 40 hours after!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've experienced all of the above.
    for me, what works, is using my temp basal. I set it at least an hour beforehand and depending on what my BG reading is I will adjust temp basal accordingly. Usually I find 25% works but that's for extremely stenuous exercise like running and cycling. I might use 30-40% for less strenuous. Even when cycling for hours, I still try to eat or I will go low. Meals after exercise I bolus less. Brigdon, it sounds like you need a much smaller temp basal. If you are going to suspend your pump you still have to do it an hour or so in advance in order for it to have an effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had a pump! Highly unlikely under our healthcare system - I don't fit the criteria :( If I want to change basals I get one chance a day and then two more days to find out if it might be working!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Northerner, I exercised heavily for years on MDI and I actually found it EASIER. All I would do was make sure before the exercise that my BG was sitting around 13-15 mmol/l. Granted I didn't understand as much back then. You can't really adjust basal rates on MDI for exercise. It sounds like you do really well though, after reading all your training posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe! I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence :) I;m usually happy to start exercise over 8 mmol/l - if I see anything in double figures it's a very rare day for me! I;m fortunate in that the exercise tends to affect me afterwards, rather than during, but then it's a case of guessing whether basal needs cutting or not. I'm on 8 units lantus atm, so a 1 unit change is quite a large percentage - I'm guessing you could be a lot more subtle with a pump. I can't complain though, my control is pretty good (more by luck than management, I guess!)

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)