Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"BEFORE" 10km race "AFTER"

Its not just the duration of the race.  There's so much thinking hours before and hours after.
Last night I ran a 10km race with a friend of mine.  ALL went surprisingly well.  Isn't is always a surprise when things go well? It is for me, I always expect something to screw up my plans.  I finished in 1:05, certainly not my personal best.  I've never been a fast runner though, my strength is long lasting endurance.  1.5 hours before the race I set my temp basal for 25% at which point my BG was sitting around the normal mark and I didn't eat anything.  At the start of the race my BG was at 10.8 (195) at the 5km mark I was at 10.4 (187).  By 7km I hit my runners high and kept up a faster than usual pace for the remaining 3km.  Upon finishing my BG was sitting at a super lovely 7.3 (131).  I couldn't ask for anything better at which time I ended my temp basal and bolused for a banana.

THIS morning, however, different story.  I ripped off my sensor after the race last night as it seemed to have bit the dust at day 5.  I can never get those things to last!  Calibration Error and then Bad Sensor.  So this morning when my blood sugar crashed, it wasn't until it hit 2.4 (43) before it finally rudely woke me up.  I did my usual, drank a bit of juice and fell right back asleep.  An odd thing happened later in the morning though, I had my usual oatmeal and peanut butter and dosed accordingly.  No less than 20 minutes later, on my way to work, I felt the quickly approaching twinges of another crash.  I stumbled up the stairs to the office just as I started getting the tunnel vision.  It plummeted FAST.  I Slumped in my chair with juice box in hand and just as quickly came out of it.

I never stop learning when it comes to exercise.  EVERYTHING leads to a new lesson learned.  Moral of the story? After an evening race (or long run), set temp basal for something like 85% for a few hours and maybe half breakfast bolus the next morning.  At least that's what I'm going to try anyway because a race for a PWD isn't just a race.  It comes in three parts.  The before, during and after.  Our brains never stop computing.   Next stop, half-marathon in October.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! 10K! That is so awesome!

    I am the same way, I can never figure out exercise and diabetes!! But I keep trying, so I guess that's good. Anyway, this was really inspiring and I can't wait to hear about the half marathon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I'm glad you find it inspiring! I will share all I've learned about my experiences with exercise. Its all trial and error, over and over and over again. I managed a half-marathon a couple years ago, when I was on MDI. This time will be better I think!

    ReplyDelete

Due to low life spam monkeys I am forced to moderate comments and I hate it (But I hate spam monkeys more)